Frat Guys vs. GDIs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s been said that college is where girls come to find their husbands. Well, they have two types of guys to choose from: GDIs and Frat Guys.  There’s no in between. There’s no third category. There are ups and downs about each of these types of men, and I’m here to give you the lowdown on both.

Frat Guys

These boys carry their own reputation with them. That age old reputation that they’re players; they don’t care and won’t settle down. Depending on the guy, some of these things may be true. However, there are many perks of being involved with a fraternity boy. It’s a quick way to meet lots of people. Chances are, you’ll be hanging around at the house, so you’ll meet new girls and maybe even become close with some of his brothers. This may be a good thing, but also might be a bad thing. You never want to outstay your welcome after the fling ends by hanging around with his brothers, so be sure not to become too attached.

Another thing about fraternity guys is most of them know how to be gentlemen. I emphasize the word most because you will come across that total tool who can care less to make sure you get to your car okay or can care less about finding you a ride home after a night of shacking. Most of the fraternity guys have the potential to be everything you want in a guy. Sometimes all it takes is to get the frat guy out of the frat house.

It’s not all glitz and glam, though. It can be a lot of work, dating a fraternity guy. Keeping up with all of his engagements and your own and finding time for each other can be hard. You can find yourself competing with his brothers for his time, and most of the time, his brothers will win.

GDIs

If you’re Greek, this may be foreign to you. You go on socials with Frat Guys. You go out with Frat Guys. Meeting a GDI is nearly impossible. However, these are guys that might actually interest you. They’re very different from fraternity guys. You have a better chance of finding a nice GDI who is ready for an actual relationship than tying down your “Fratdaddy,” who very well might only consider you his “Slampiece.” These are just normal guys who, yes, have the influence of their friends, but it’s nothing like the influence of a brother.

GDIs are also a lot less drama-filled. Things spread around Greek Life before you think anyone even knows. Before you know it, you hear you’re dating someone who you’ve exchanged five words with. There’s a slim chance that this will happen with a GDI, and by slim, I mean none. Things are just between the two of you and whoever you choose to tell. It’s a lot less work being involved with a GDI.
There are always downfalls with any relationship, and one you might encounter with a GDI is getting stuck in a rut. You have to find ways to keep things interesting and not being stuck doing the same things and going to the same places with the same people.

It’s always interesting to see which way girls choose to go, Frat Guy or GDI. It’s just as interesting to watch the relationship play out and see what happens. Regardless of the guy, just remember, you have to spend a lot time playing “Say No to the Bro” before you can play “Say Yes to the Dress”!