Finals Week: Useful Tips To Break Away From Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Tired of studying for finals? Feel like you’re suffocating underneath the mountains of textbooks and study guides? Unfortunately, there isn’t anything I can do in terms of getting rid of your final exams; however, I can offer you wonderful pick-me-ups to get you through this week!

1) Gym
Your stress level is at an all time high this week, I get it. Going to the gym for at least 30 minutes will really get some of that stress relieved. Sweating and raising your heart rate will release endorphins. These guys help you cope with a lot more than you usually would be able to and allow you to take a breather and attack the rest of your day.

2) Coffee Break
Please do yourself a favor and don’t touch those energy shots; they aren’t good for you and create more problems for you body later. Go to Starbucks or your local coffee house and enjoy your favorite drink for 15-20 minutes. Plug in your iPod. Breathe. Inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth.

3) Clean Your Room
The feeling of accomplishment really is something to be cherished. I’m not talking about scrubbing your ceilings, but take out the trash, straighten up your desk, make your bed, donate some old clothes. These kinds of things subconsciously make you feel more proactive and efficient. It’ll really give you a jumpstart to your studying.

4) Read A Book
Your textbooks don’t count. I’m talking about that novel that’s been sitting on your nightstand collecting dust. Crack it open for forty-five minutes, and let the pages engulf your mind. I wouldn’t suggest reading it while lying down, because you will be tempted to fall asleep. But try your kitchen table or study room. Sometimes we overlook the simple things that are really worthwhile.

5) Take A Bath
I know it sounds cliché, but settling into a nice warm bath really does your body good. The warm water loosens up the tension in your muscles and lets you take a moment to revamp and revitalize your brain. Your body will become so comfortable that you’ll feel a sense of euphoria when you get out. I suggest setting a timer so you don’t doze off for a couple of hours.

These stress relievers aren’t scientific, but I can tell you from my personal experience that they are 100% effective. Give it a try; really, what do you have to lose?

Nina DeSarro is a senior at the University of Central Florida, pursuing a degree in Communication with a minor in Magazine Journalism and Sociology. She is the Assistant Editorial Director for UCF's HC chapter, and has been an avid Feature writer since her freshman year. Within her varied group of friends, she’s known as their “relationship guru,” specializing in the male/female dynamics. She is also an active member and former finance chair for her sorority, Alpha Epsilon Phi. In addition to being an avid writer, she can usually be found “plugged-in” with Dave Matthews Band streaming. Her ideal world is filled with Cosmo magazines, Vanilla Lattes, Sex and the City, Louboutin’s, and anything glittery. Her goals include, living and working somewhere in the North East for a television or magazine agency. 
Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler