The Feared and Fearless of Tanning: Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

We all tan, or at least know someone who does. At UCF, there are tanning salons everywhere with affordable memberships for college students. However, the decisions we make now are going to effect us in the future. We need to start taking responsibility for what we do to our bodies.

As promised, I’ve looked at both sides of the tanning issue. My research was pretty surprising.

I always thought you lay in a bed for ten minutes and that’s it. All of the girls I spoke to about tanning didn’t even think about any risks. Unfortunately, there is a pretty serious statistic that goes along with those ten minutes.

A group of 20 studies from 2009 concluded the risk of skin cancer jumps 75% when people start using tanning beds before the age 30. Which means the Jersey Shore cast could be in some serious trouble in the next few years.

According to the World Health Organization and the International Commission on Non-ionizing Radiation Protection, people under 18 years of age should not use tanning beds.

An even more serious recommendation is the American Cancer Society’s. They recommend that people avoid tanning beds altogether. 

There used to be an argument that tanning with UVA light was safe, which is the light tanning beds emit. But as of 2009 these studies found the myth is really a myth. UVA rays are cancerous. Not only are they cancerous; they can be as deadly as arsenic.

In Britain, the deadliest skin cancer, melanoma, is the leading cancer diagnosed in women in their 20s. That’s a staggering change. Most of the time, skin cancer is found in people over 75.

I know these statistics will not prevent people from tanning, but we need to be careful. Always use sunscreen. You will still get a tan. Sunscreen blocks out the harmful rays.

Luckily for us, there are more products out now than ever before that offer tanning– minus the sun.

Try a spray tan. They are improving and no longer make you look orange.

Jergen’s Natural Glow, ($8), is one of the best, every-day products. Just use it as daily lotion. In a few days you’ll notice a subtle tan.

If you want a faster tan, Neutrogena Sunless Tanning Foam, ($16), is your best bet. The
foam makes for an easy application without streaks.

These products are great for tanning without the risk. Just take a break from the bed and try a new product. Your skin will thank you.