Fall Fashion In Florida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Dressing for fall is arguably one of the best parts about the changing seasons – that is unless you live in Florida. Famously dubbed the “Sunshine State”, Florida experiences very few seasons. This makes end of the summer sales incredible steals, but many of us long to wear boots and infinity scarves without suffering heat stroke. Instead of subjecting ourselves to shorts and bandeaus the entire year, it’s time to get creative. Here are a few ideas for spicing up your fall wardrobe without falling victim to the Florida heat. 

1. Shoes

Not being able to wear boots can be a drag when you’re living in tropical conditions, but look on the brightside – you can wear shoes that people up north cannot! Take advantage of your fall footwear options. Ankle boots are still trending this year and can be paired with any outfit from leggings to sundresses. Pointed toe flats are making a comeback and come in shades that are perfect for autumn, and oxfords are a fall favorite that many others can’t enjoy without freezing! 

2. Cardigans

Cardigans are lightweight and can be taken off easily if you’re outdoors. They can instantly add that “fall flair” and make your outfit look more put together. Open-knit cardigans are best for beating the Florida heat!

3. Wear richer colors

If you’re having trouble saying goodbye to your rompers and dresses, look for these pieces in darker, more vibrant colors. Fall colors fall more in the realm of burnt orange, burgundy, and dark greens. Floral pieces tend to have these hues and can bridge the gap between your summer and fall attire.

4. Lightweight Fabrics

Jackets are half the fun of dressing up for fall! If you love your outerwear and layering, look for lighter fabrics that won’t trap heat.

5. Scarves

Much like jackets, scarves will be a lot easier to bear if you keep the material light. Scarves can make a simple t-shirt and jeans look great, and come in tons of colors and patterns to suit your wardrobe this season.

Making the change from summer to fall in a place that seemingly never cools down can be difficult, but is by no means impossible. Utilize your resources and shop around for some key pieces that can take your outfit to a new level and prepare you for the coming holidays.

UCF Contributor