Erin O’Flaherty: Miss UCF 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

UCF collegiettes, it’s time for you to meet your new Miss UCF 2013! This past weekend, UCF crowned Erin O’Flaherty Miss UCF 2013. Here is a little about the newest UCF royalty.

First things first: Where are you from? What year in school are you? What is your major?

I’m from Florence, SC. I’m a senior acounting major with minors in Leadership Studies and Entrepreneurship.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

I LOVE to take my kayak to Wekiva Springs and relax on the river. I also love to play soccer, test out new recipes on my roommates, and people-watch!

Are you involved in anything else on campus?

I’m a former LEAD Scholar, and I’ve been involved in a lot of different things on campus up until this point, including Equal at UCF, Volunteer UCF, and the Women’s Soccer Sport Club, to name a few. I also work in the Office of the President as one of Dr. Hitt’s Student Assistants, so it can sometimes feel like I’m involved in everything!

How long have you been competing in pageants?

This will be my third year. I have previously held the titles of Miss Florida Everglades 2011, Miss Pasco County 2012, and now Miss UCF 2013

Was this your first time competing for the Miss UCF title?

No, my first time competing was in Miss UCF 2011. It was actually my first pageant ever, and I placed 4th runner up, so after I realized that I could actually do it, the dream of becoming Miss UCF became so much bigger. 

What was the most difficult part of the Miss UCF process?

Trying to find the coordination to dance in heels! I actually ended up stepping on my partner’s feet the night of Miss UCF…whoops! In all seriousness though, the entire process of Miss UCF is so amazing, it is really hard to find any negatives. Sometimes the rehearsals run late and people can become exhausted, but you’re surrounded by so many great people that it’s easy to forget the times that are not always fun.

Do you have any big plans as Miss UCF? What are you most excited for?

I have BIG plans!

I’m going to travel to all 10 regional UCF campuses to speak on behalf of my platform and host at least 1,000 QPR Certifications. In September, I will plan and host an Out of The Darkness Suicide Prevention Walk in honor of National Suicide Prevention Month in congruence with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

I’m also going to try to partner with the UCF Alumni Association and the Town and Gown Council to bring in more scholarship funds for next year’s Miss UCF contestants. My goal is to host at least two major fundraising events during my reign, and my goal is to bring in at least an extra $5,000 of scholarships to the Miss UCF Organization. I want to make it a priority to reach out to Registered Student Organizations and speak at meetings to encourage participation in not only the Miss UCF Organization, but the Miss America Organization as well.

I also want to become heavily involved in the Children’s Miracle Network, which is the official philanthropy of both UCF and the Miss America Organization, so it works out perfectly.  It also helps that my amazing Mr. UCF, Roberto Canales, is the Morale Director for Knight-Thon. We have formed a Mr. and Miss UCF contestant team, and we are hoping to raise a ton of money for this awesome cause. I also plan to sponsor a miracle child to be my princess in the Miss Florida pageant in July!

I am mostly excited for all of the amazing memories I will make over the next year. I am at a place where my involvement in my platform is really taking off, and now I have this huge title that’s going to catapult me into so many other opportunities as well. I have an amazing support system and committee in the Campus Activities Board, and I know we are going to make a great team. I am also thrilled to be able to spend my year with Mr. UCF, Roberto Canales. We have hit it off already. He is such a goofball! He’s named us #teamroyalty and is currently on the lookout for a “walk-out” song for us. I’m going to have to reign him in a bit… ;). I’m also really excited to be wearing black and gold nonstop for the next year.

What is your platform? How are you planning to support your platform as Miss UCF?

My platform is Suicide Prevention, and it’s a social issue that is very personal to me and one that I am adamant about making a difference in. I work with the QPR Institute to recruit people to become certified in recognizing the warning signs of someone contemplating suicide and being able to provide them with the resources they need for help. Since 2009, I’ve recruited just over 3,000 people.  I’m going to travel to all 10 regional UCF campuses to speak on behalf of my platform and host at least 1,000 QPR Certifications. In September, I will plan and host an Out of The Darkness Suicide Prevention Walk in honor of National Suicide Prevention Month in congruence with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

I’ve just joined forces with The Trevor Project, an organization that is perfect for me in every way, and I am so excited to be working with them. They are the nation’s leading crisis intervention and suicide prevention organization for GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgenered) youth. I’ll be working with them as an AskTrevor Author and Lifeline Counselor. As the first openly lesbian Miss UCF, and one of only a few in the entire Miss America Organization, I have a HUGE opportunity here to merge the issues of both equal rights and suicide prevention. GLBT youth are up to 8 times more likely to attempt suicide as compared to their straight peers.

How will you be preparing for the Miss Florida pageant?

I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing, which is setting attainable goals for myself and dedicating myself to achieving them. I don’t plan on radically changing anything about myself for Miss Florida; I want the judges to have the most accurate picture of who I really am.

Do you have any advice for girls interested in competing in Miss UCF next year?

Ahh..it’s hard to think about giving it up already! But yes, absolutely. It’s important for the girls to get to know themselves so that they have an idea of what they want their year as Miss UCF to be like. Once they have chosen a platform, I urge them to become as involved as they can. The experience of competing for Miss UCF is unlike any other local pageant. You spend a lot of time in rehearsals and getting to know the other girls, and you share a really special bond with all of them. I met one of my best friends back in 2011 when I competed, and I’m now a bridesmaid in her wedding in September. So really, my advice for the girls is to just go for it! I promise it will be one of the highlights of their UCF experience.

Clearly, Erin is a perfect representation of the UCF community. We can’t wait to see the amazing things she will be doing around campus! Make sure you follow her journey to Miss Florida and keep up with everything she is doing as Miss UCF on her website, blog and Twitter. Good luck Erin!

Website: www.erinoflaherty.com

Blog: http://erryberry1.blogspot.com/,

Twitter: @erinroflaherty