Life > Experiences

EDC Orlando 2023 Is OTW And Here’s What You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Future ravers listen up! EDC Orlando is creeping right around the corner and it’s time for final preparations. It’s not my first rodeo going to a rave, but if it’s yours I have some tips for you.

The Electric Daisy Carnival comes annually to Orlando, Florida, and delivers all the EDM vibes from house music to hard bass and everything in between. If you’re a UCF student even slightly into good vibes and good music, attending the festival in our backyard for at least one day is a canon event that must be had.

After experiencing EDC Orlando 2022 and bartending front and center at Imagine Festival, I’ve seen it all and more.

Going to your first rave can be nerve-racking when you don’t know what to expect; It’s a whole new world and an experience unlike any other. I can confidently say that EDC Orlando 2022 was the best weekend of my entire 22 years of life, so I’ve made it my mission to make November 10-12 the best experience of yours.

Here is my advice for all the first-time ravers going to EDC.

must-haves to bring

If you haven’t already, it’s time to run to your Amazon Prime and fill up your cart with a few essentials that will help your first time at EDC Orlando be as fun and safe as possible. Here are a few must-haves that you shouldn’t go without.

Hydration Pack

If there’s one thing to take away from this article, it’s that you can’t go without a hydration pack. Taking care of your body and endlessly hydrating throughout a rave is a must. We all know the Florida sun and its power of it, especially when you’re dancing in the heat for up to 12 hours a day.

Hydration packs, that must be empty of water upon entrance, are full-sized backpacks that have a huge water pack inside of it with a straw attached to the arm strap for easy hydration. With water stations placed around Tinker Field, you’ll be able to fill up before heading to the stages so you don’t have to worry about finding water while you’re watching your favorite DJs or stuck among large crowds.

Fanny pack

Something else new ravers should know is pickpocketing and theft at EDC is no joke. The amount of people I’ve met who have had someone in plain sight steal their phone by reaching into their pocket or backpack is actually insane.

Keep your phone and important belongings as close to you at all times. Even with the storage of your hydration pack, a fanny pack is still the way to go, so it’s always in your direct sight.

Personally, I keep my fanny strapped across my body, but it also works to keep it around your waist if you rest your hands on it when you’re amidst the crowd.

phone tether

If you’re in your feral girl era and have a track history of losing your phone on nights out, I would go ahead and run to Amazon for the extra protection of a phone tether.

Phone tethers are the coolest little contraption that hooks your phone to a belt loop or fanny pack using a hook-like clip. They’re super cheap and definitely cheaper than having to replace a phone. It’s giving very much ROI.

You’re welcome.

Safety 101

Mental preparation to keep yourself and your friends safe is so important when it comes to raves. As kind as ravers are, there are also dangerous people lingering. Not only that but there is little to no cell service. Help me help you; Keep on reading.

Download the field map

If you haven’t been to EDC, let alone a smaller rave, I’m telling you now that you’re underestimating the size of the festival grounds. The Tinker Field has the capacity for 175,000 people. Let that sink in.

Take the time before arrival to not only download the map, but also figure out what stages your favorite DJs are performing at. When you find yourself walking in circles trying to find the right stage with no service, you’re going to be mentally saying ‘thank you’ to me, and you’re welcome.

The map will help you not only find the right stage, but also the nearest water stations, bathrooms, medics, and food trucks. I would even say go the extra mile and make the map your phone’s lock screen for the weekend.

establish a meeting spot

I’m sending everyone good vibes as you’re reading this and manifesting that no one gets lost from our friends, but things happen. It’s easy to get swept away from your friends in big crowds and rumor has it, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Establish a meeting spot in case anyone in your group gets lost, especially if your group ever separates to see different sets.

If you get lost, hug a tree (or a water station).

pay attention to your surroundings

It’s time to practice the stranger danger mindset that I hope you learned as a child. Strangers might offer you kandi (little toys/bracelets/memorabilia – that’s common in the rave world), which is totally okay. What you shouldn’t be accepting though, is anything you have to ingest. I promise you, the little gummy the person next to you says is delicious, will in fact not be delicious.

If anyone ever offers to put sparkles on you, I beg you to say no. If they place clothing pins or anything else out of the ordinary on you and try to sneak away, remove it with as little contact with the item as possible. Trust me.

Listen to your body

Listening to your body is always something to practice, especially when you’re at a rave. If you’re over 21 and plan on drinking or taking any type of substance, check in with yourself. Mentally ask yourself every so often how you’re feeling.

Being intoxicated in the sun and under the suffocation of a crowd can be too much sometimes. If you start to feel overwhelmed or claustrophobic, don’t be scared to take a break. Your friends would rather leave a set early than watch you suffer. If you’re easily anxious or get faint, I promise you the music sounds the exact same if you sit in the grass behind the crowd. Don’t wait until it’s too late.

practicing plur

PLUR is the biggest rule to practice as a raver. PLUR stands for peace, love, unity, and respect.

If you’ve been to concerts, nightclubs, or any other kind of festival, especially like Rolling Loud, you’re probably used to being shoved and scoffed at. It isn’t news to me that in those environments, being aggressive is almost part of survival, but raves are totally different.

The people who live for raves are the kindest people I’ve ever met in my entire life. Even if they don’t know you, they will go the extra mile to make sure you are safe and having fun. Practicing PLUR and showing kindness at a rave goes a long way. Offer kindness to others and you sure will receive it back.

The huge crowds can look scary and overwhelming, but aside from the crazies, the people in the crowd are your best friends and they’re on your side, so treat them as so.

EDC Orlando 2023 is this weekend and now you have all the advice that I have to give. I will leave you with this: it is going to be amazing. I don’t mean to let my advice scare you, but to inform and prepare you. Despite the scaries that could happen, you are prepared enough now to have everything go your way.

During my experience at last year’s festival, I developed a love for life and this world that I never had before. Indulge in the music and the community that is waiting for you. I wish you all the best time of your life.

With peace, love, unity and respect.
See you there.

Abbi Donaldson is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UCF who covers all things wellness and pop culture. She is a senior at the University of Central Florida with a major in Advertising & Public Relations with a minor in Mass Culture and Collective Behavior. Abbi loves all things campaign marketing and brand strategy related. You can typically find Abbi at the gym, a music festival or binging a YA romance novel.