Dressing up Like Characters From ‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love the Amazon Prime TV show The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. The show takes place in New York City during the ’50s and follows a Jewish housewife turned comedian stepping into her independence for the first time. Despite postponing production because of COVID-19, the show started filming season four and is ready to return in all its glory. Until then, I decided to bring a little Maisel magic back into my life by dressing up as some of the characters for three days straight. Here is how it felt to step into Abe Weissman, Lenny Bruce and Midge Maisel’s shoes. 

Abe Weissman

As a professor at Columbia, Abe sticks to his tweed suits and sweater vests throughout the show. To embody Abe Weissman I went with a basic white turtleneck from H&M, a wool sweater vest I thrifted, and jeans from Zara to modernize the look. I wore this outfit to a coffee study date with my friends, and I don’t know if it was the outfit or the coffee, but I got all my homework done for the week in one sitting. If you need some motivation for school, try to recreate an Abe Weissman look and you might be surprised at how much you get done. 

Lenny Bruce

As the only character based on a real-life person, Lenny Bruce remained his cool, smooth self with his tan trench coat reappearing in every outfit. As a stand-up comedian that was arrested four times throughout his career, I want to pay tribute to his fearless attitude by wearing leather pants from H&M, a sheer gold blouse I thrifted, and an oversized blazer to make up for my lack of a tan trench coat. I wore this outfit for a night out at a COVID-safe restaurant and felt sophisticated yet sexy. Replicate this look if you want to feel rebellious, and in a subtle way, take inspiration from the one and only Lenny Bruce: the most influential comedian of the ’50s and ’60s. 

Midge Maisel

Even though every outfit Midge wears makes me want to dress up all the time, I decided to go for her classic little black dress. I wore a black dress from my sister’s closet, black gloves from Amazon, and added a red lip and pearls to spice up my makeup. The power I felt from wearing a red lip and a simple black dress made me wish I could be as brave as Midge and chase my dreams, no matter how big or small they may be. If you need a pick me up after a long week, unleash your inner Midge Maisel and dress up for YOU. 

If these outfits haven’t convinced you to watch the show, take my word for it and enter the world of Mrs. Maisel. Even though most of us wish not to go back to America’s messy history, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel does a good job at making the ’50s look bearable and just a little bit glamourous. 

Isabel Vila is a junior majoring in Advertising/Public Relations. She was born in Puerto Rico but raised in South Florida most of her life. You can catch her watching The Marvelous Mrs.Maisel, looking at upcoming fashion trends, or being with friends and family. You can keep up with Isabel through her instagram @isabel_vila.
UCF Contributor