Do You Know Where I’m From?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

“So you’re FROM Korea?” Emphasis on the from

Yes, I am. I’m not just Korean, and I wasn’t just born there (actually, I was born in Maryland). I grew up in South Korea and left when I graduated high school to attend college in the states. 

That’s the first difference between the two countries. In Korea, we call it the states while residents here call it America. Not that shocking? How about toilets? In Korea, we have robot toilets that have seat-warming or water-squirting options. It might sound weird to you, but to me it’s inconvenient that American toilets don’t have the option for extra-cleanliness and comfort. 

It’s also much safer in Korea. I mean, there was a news report on a man getting his wallet stolen. That’s how low the crime rate is. I can go outside to the corner store alone at 2 a.m. and not feel frightened. Actually, there’s still loads of people outside because clubs don’t close till 7 or 8 a.m. People who say New York City doesn’t sleep haven’t been to Seoul.

Even eating is different. In the states, you get what you pay for when you go to a restaurant; no more no less (well, sometimes less). In Korea, we have this system called ‘service,’ and it’s basically free stuff. Typically, when I go into a restaurant (and it’s not even the high-end ones) I get served my food and a free drink or free sides. It’s nothing out of the norm, it’s actually very common. 

The biggest difference I’ve noticed is the level of respect between the states and Korea. In Korea, the elderly are everything and they are always first. At the dinner table, no one eats until the eldest person has taken their first bite. In the states, families typically put the children first. They make sure they’re taken care of before tending to others. It’s also considered very disrespectful to ignore an elder in Korea. Even if it’s just passing the neighborhood grandma in the hallway, Koreans always say hello and give a half-bow. 

One thing I miss most about my home country is the amazing transportation. Ever been to New York? If you have, then you would be familiar with the yellow cabs and subway lines. That’s pretty much what the transportation in Korea is like, except it’s cheaper and safer.

Growing up in Korea pretty much set me up for disappointment because no other country (so far) has been comparable. The busy, progressing, proud country will always be the place I call home. 

And for the record: no, I haven’t been to North Korea.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4