DIY Holiday Gift Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s the most stressful time of the year! The holidays are quickly approaching, and now is the time to get out and do your holiday shopping! It’s not an easy task, especially with picky boyfriends and vague parents (I’m looking at you, mom). However, with Pintrest and willpower, you can put down that tacky tie and give them what they really deserve!

The Boyfriend:

It goes without saying that every guy likes something different. Some are into music, some are sports fanatics, and others vow by the videogame. Fortunately there are alternatives if your guy has expensive taste and you’re on a budget!

If you’re looking for something sentimental for your sweetie, try making him an “exploding box”! This easy to make box can be filled with pictures of you both, an endearing letter, and other memories that may even make your guy hold back a tear or two.

If you’re looking for something more materialistic for your man, a fun idea is making a gift basket with all of his favorite snacks, drinks, and products! This DIY will get your creative juices flowing, and show him that you’ve been listening. You know what they always say: “The best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach”!

The Mom:

Mothers are one of the most difficult people to shop for around the holidays. They insist they don’t need anything, and your old handprint and popsicle stick crafts aren’t cutting it at 20 years old. Most of us can’t afford a diamond necklace for mom, but here are some ways to show you care.

A fantastic idea that mom will appreciate is a little spa kit. Grab some bath bombs, a fluffy towel, some candles and her favorite chocolate and she will be over the moon! Mothers work so hard, this may give her the push she needs to pamper herself for a day.

The Dad:

Fathers are another example of gift-giving frustration. Most dads don’t need any more ties after 20 years of ties for every occasion. When you’re planning your gift for your favorite man, give him something you know he will love!

Tons of guys are interested in micro-brewing their own drinks right now, and dad might have a lot of fun figuring this one out! Your boyfriend might even love this too!

The BFF:

You’ve known your best friend for as long as you can remember, and you’d love to show how much you appreciate them this holiday season.

Show your best friend you care by setting aside a day for the two of you! College can prevent us from spending time with our favorite people, and by making time for a fun day together, you can have time to reconnect and recharge. Grab a cute bag; fill it with snacks, some daytrip essentials, and a gift card to one of your favorite hangouts. Spend the day getting lost together, and your BFF will be ecstatic for this chance to strengthen your friendship!

The Roomies:

Your roomies have been there through the hangovers and midterms. You want to give them something to say “thanks” for sticking through the midnight pizza deliveries (not that they had a choice) without breaking your budget.

To brighten your roommates’ spirit before you split ways for the holidays, grab some stockings from the dollar store and stuff them full of little goodies that they’ll love! Great stocking stuffers include nail polish, bath bombs, their favorite candy, and a small gift card to their favorite place on campus. This could give them a little boost to push through final exams!

UCF Contributor