Life > Experiences

5 Comfort Movies I’ll Be Watching After Exam Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The last few days before summer break are definitely a struggle. With long hours of studying, tons of homework, and little me time, it can definitely be a difficult and stressful few days. So, as an avid movie watcher, I decided that once exams are over, I’ll gather my favorite films to watch and celebrate my survival from exams!

SING

One of my favorite animated movies, Sing, is a musical comedy about a koala attempting to save his dying theater by holding a singing competition. As random as that may sound, it’s definitely a cute movie with a meaningful message! I first watched this movie after my high school exams, so it definitely brings back freshman-year memories, and I’ve made it a tradition to watch it every year after I finish a stressful exam season.

Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop

This movie was recommended to me a few months ago, and with my busy work and school schedule, it has been on my watchlist since then. Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop is a Japanese animated movie about a romance developing between two individuals who have trouble communicating with others. I love a good romance with a meaningful plot, so I’m excited to finally watch it!

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone

I’ve been obsessed with the Wizarding World since I was in grade school, so it wouldn’t be right not to start my movie binge with this film. This film is based on the popular book about an orphan learning that he’s a wizard and is invited to attend a boarding school called Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It’s definitely my favorite film in the series. It does a great job of introducing us to a new world from Harry’s perspective. It’s also heartwarming to see the innocent and lighthearted moments compared to the later films.

House Party (1990)

What better way to relieve stress and relax than with a comedy flick? I recently watched a movie on HBO Max called House Party, which features Kid Cudi, Jacob Latimore, and Lebron James. It centers around two guys who get fired from their job of cleaning homes. After they get fired, they realize they’re actually cleaning Lebron James’ home. In need of some money after losing their jobs, they decide to throw a star-studded party at James’ home.  I think it’s fair to call me a new soul because I had no idea this was a rework of a 90s movie of the same name. According to my mom, the original is much better, so I’ll definitely be watching it to see for myself!

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

This is another film that has been stuck in my Netflix watchlist and I’ve been anticipating watching it since it first came out. This movie is a murder mystery that follows Detective Benoit Blanc as he tries to solve a murder that occurs on a billionaire’s private island. With its star-studded cast and interesting plot, it will definitely have me on my feet.

The days after finals are the perfect time to indulge in my favorite movies as well as shorten my watch list. I’ve learned that movies are the perfect outlet to put me at ease and help me recover from a busy semester. Whether it’s a much-needed movie night, journaling, or catching up on sleep, I definitely recommend time to yourself over the break!

Bianca is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida studying marketing with a minor in event management. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading mystery novels, listening to music, and taking photos.