Chic Geek of the Week: Why HP is H-I-P

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

There was a time when the click of a mouse was reserved for the technology wiz and only dweebs (whose sad attempts at an ensemble consisted of pocket protectors and over-sized spectacles – a hundred seasons too early – scoff!) were reflected in computer screens. That last part was stereotypical speculation, but when thinking of the computer’s history, their origins, now humble, can be difficult to err, process. After all, the ubiquity of these machines today is not even a question. Writing and typing have become synonymous, people have married computer devices (seriously), and fashionistas picture-blog the trends, as well as hold internships, with computer companies (huh!?!).

Her Campus UCF Secretary – and certifiably hip, atypical nerd – Alyssa Nation spent the last four months as an intern for HP computers. As the liaison between this PC giant and the University of Central Florida, she helped bring sick (in the good way), exclusive discounts on HP computers to UCF students and faculty by feverishly utilizing her social media skills. By simply signing up with their website at www.hpdirect.com/academy/intel/ucf, members of the Knights community can make their log-ins to Webcourses even more exhilarating! That might be going overboard, but there really is nothing like your own shiny, new laptop to rival the Desktop-asaurus traipsing slowly through the Internet in the library.

Like everyone involved with Her Campus UCF, Alyssa understands the contemporary need to express oneself. Technology is no longer an exception, and HP illustrates this unlike any other computer company by offering both efficiently functioning and (score!) aesthetically pleasing laptops. While every computer consumer wants speed and the latest Intel Core processor (whatever that means), it’s safe to say cuteness is sort of a nice perk – okay, it’s like, absolutely essential!

If finding the perfect sandals is met with scrutiny in Her Campus world, it’s obvious that choosing the perfect computer is no easy task – unless you use HP?s PC Match Lab (phew! not Math Lab!), which is their virtual equivalent of a dressing room. By inputting your major, price range, and other specifications, this free tool suggests the computer most suited to your needs. It even takes into account how often you are on the go, suggesting laptops with optimum battery life so that more time can be spent on Facebook between classes rather than searching for an outlet in the union. With making and editing music as yet another distinguishing factor, even UCF?s ample population of aspiring DJs is not left out.

As someone whose computer is actually like another appendage, my perfect HP PC is the Envy 14. It has Beats Audio (hey, maybe I’ll become a DJ, too!), 6GB RAM (no, I don’t really know what that means either), and Microsoft Office Pro Student (that rings a bell!), making it the perfect laptop for work and play.

As a proponent of fashionable technology, Alyssa is the clear choice for Talk Nerdy to Me’s very first “Chic Geek of the Week”. Check out her Chic Geek profile and find out why her embarrassing moment made me “LOL”. To find out more about HP?s student program, be sure to tweet @hpacademy and visit the website!

Chic Geek of the Week Profile

Name: Alyssa Nation
Field of study: Interpersonal/Organizational Communication
Extracurricular activities: HP/Intel Brand Ambassador, Her Campus UCF Secretary, picture blogging (on Tumblr & Pinterest), social media, watching movies, finding interesting places to check out in Orlando, working out, & spending time with the people I love.
When I grow up I’m going to be an: Executive of a marketing, advertising, or promotions agency.
(Even though I really wish I were a): Famous actress
Favorite subject: Communication & Psychology
Astrological sign: Capricorn
The ultimate vocabulary word: Gadabout (n.) a person who travels often or to many different places, especially for pleasure.
Dweeb crush: Adam Brody (as Seth Cohen on The O.C.)
Favorite geeky movie: The Fifth Element – a sci-fi action film starring Bruce Willis
The most lame music (that I not-so-secretly listen to): I may or may not still have songs from “S Club 7” on my iTunes.
Favorite book: Both the Harry Potter & Twilight series
Geekiest interest: Anything computers!
The best gadget: HP Slate 500 – a tablet PC with Touchscreen and Stylus Pen capabilities, USB port, VGA webcam, and 3MP camera! It also has this awesome feature where you can write in your own handwriting on the screen and it translates to text! Furthermore, you can get a little docking station for it to sit on and can plug in a mini keyboard and mouse if you don’t like using the Touchscreen. It’s perfect for students taking notes in class, teachers, professionals, or just anyone on the go!
The nerdiest thing that I own or wear: I have a D.A.R.E (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) shirt from Elementary school that I sleep in because it’s so comfy. (It was obviously way too big for me then, which is why I can wear it now.)
The dorkiest thing that I do: I could spend hours on end looking at books in Barnes & Noble.
Most embarrassing moment (that I’m willing to put in a magazine): One time, I fell asleep with my entire arm behind my head, and my hand was sort of hanging there. When I woke up, I didn’t know whose hand it was and screamed!
Words of wisdom: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain