This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Within the past three years—and especially in the past three months—the #FreeBritney movement has exploded across the internet. Fans across the world rallied for Britney Spears’ freedom from her uncommon conservatorship. Her fans’ effort to spread awareness became worth it on September 29th when her father, Jamie Spears, was suspended as her conservator after 13 years. However, this does not mean Britney’s long-awaited journey to freedom is over yet. Although this was a huge milestone for Britney, the conservatorship is still in place until further notice.

Britney’s lawyer initially sought the removal of Jamie rather than the termination of the conservatorship in order to investigate Jamie’s misconduct. Although the singer and lawyer believed the conservatorship should end, they agreed that removing her father first would be a key step in the process. Before the hearing, Jamie actually backpedaled and sought to end the conservatorship altogether and claimed that, therefore, the removal of his position in the conservatorship was unnecessary.

The hearing still proceeded and the judge stated, “The current situation is untenable… It reflects a toxic environment which requires the suspension of James Spears.”

The next court date on November 12th will decide whether the conservatorship is still necessary or not. This period until the court date is crucial for Britney to prove to the judge that she is deserving of regaining her basic human rights back. In the multitude of #FreeBritney documentaries, different lawyers all state that they have never seen a successful case for conservatorship elimination.

Britney found the most progress with her legal battle once the public got wind of what was going on. Britney spoke her truth in court on June 24th, saying, “I’m traumatized. I’m not happy. I can’t sleep. I’m depressed. I cry every day. I’m so angry… I’m tired of feeling alone. I deserve to have the same rights as anybody does, by having a child, a family, and more so.”

The judge set another hearing date to resolve financial matters for December 8th.

Hi! I am a sophomore at UCF majoring in Human Communications on a Business track. I love watching NBA games, listening to music and keeping up with pop culture. I'm also the annoying friend of yours who says "Yeah, but I liked it before it was cool."