Brianna’s Declassified Spring Break Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With Spring Break waiting impatiently in the wings, everyone has their plans on how to have the most fun and chill out. No work, no homework, no 8 a.m. classes (for a week at least), but the most important thing is all the fun. While Spring Break is the prequel to all the summer festivities, here are some tips to make sure that your break is rad, and safe this year!

#1) TAKE A BREAK!

Yeah, you heard me. I know some of you feel like this is your time to get ahead on school or pick up shifts at work, but trust me…IT CAN WAIT. Take some you time, put down those pens/pencils, and let your days off be actual days off. They don’t call it Spring BREAK for nothing.

#2) Get Some Rest.

Pretty much the easiest thing you can do. You stay in bed, you want to sleep in until noon? Go for it! Want to be a couch potato until the sun goes down? You go girl, own it!

#3) Be Sun-Safe.

Take care of your skin while you’re out there soaking up that Vitamin D, don’t forget:

• Apply sunscreen at least 30 mins before sun exposure.
  • Reapply the same amount every 2 hours.
  • Use an SPF 15 (or higher) broad-spectrum sunscreen for most effective protection from UVB & UVA rays.

Stay hydrated if you are outside for long periods of time (we don’t need any hospital trips). It’s hot out there y’all, check yourself before you wreck yourself!

#4) Work That Bikini!

Bikini bodies are for everybody! If you need a sign to break out that cute bathing suit, this is it! Don’t let anybody lower your confidence or tell you otherwise, go out there this break and slay it!

Try vibrant prints or play it safe! Pick the one that makes you feel the most comfortable and absolutely rock it!

#5) Make This Vacation a STAYcation.

Hit the local beach with your friends, family, imaginary friends, or even your pets! Take advantage of this good weather (while it lasts, this is the “sunshine state” after all).

Go to your favorite theme parks and have a day of magic. You’ve made it this far into your semester, you deserve to spend a day surrounded by fun.

#6) Netflix and Chill By Yourself.

Get cuddled up with all the junk food in the house, break out your favorite pj’s, and get cozy with Netflix. They’ve just added a bunch of new titles, so happy binging!

#7) Party Safe

No matter what you do over Spring Break 2016, remember that your safety is the most important. Here are a few tips to make sure that you stay on the safe side of the party:

o   Drinking:

•  Keep an eye on your drink and if you can, make it yourself. With those epic Spring Break parties, come a few creeps who ruin the fun for everyone by trying to slip unwanted content into alcohol.
  • Know your limit! Don’t be that person who gets chocolate-wasted on a beach and wakes up with a mouth full of sand, or gets sick all over the place during an event. Just don’t do it.

o   Partying:

• If you go out, make sure you go with a group of trusted friends. Safety is in numbers.
  • Keep an eye out on the people in your group, if you come with them…make sure you’re leaving with them.
  • If you and your friends are going out, adopt a buddy system that way everyone is accountable for someone.
  • If you see something, say something. Make sure that everybody is in a safe zone, it’s not called being a buzzkill…it’s called being a good friend.
  • If you’re going somewhere alone, tell someone.

o   Doing “the Deed”:

• If you’re going to be getting busy this break, make sure that it’s safe.
  • Bring/wear a condom folks, it doesn’t get any simpler than that.
  • No means no. If you or your partner isn’t into it, there isn’t any consent, or the person is way to intoxicated to say yes…it’s not mutual, it’s rape.
  • If it’s a hookup, make sure that you are comfortable with the person and that they don’t make you do anything you want to do.

It’s your vacation and we’re only young once, so enjoy it! Stay safe, take lots of pictures for Instagram and Snapchat, drink water, keep your skin hydrated/protected, be smart, and don’t forget…HAVE FUN!

Photo credit: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

*taps mic* IS THIS THING ON?Hey y'all  it's Brianna! Her life is one big ball of sarcasm, sass, Disney, Superman, & awkwardness.Human Communications major by day, Netflix binge watcher by night, & professional at making "dad-jokes"  .She lives in the makeup aisle and you catch her either spending all her money there or in a Disney park somwhere. Brianna loves books, and is probably living in a fantasy world 99.9% of the time.   Check me out on the World Wide Web:Tumblr:http://simple-imperfection.tumblr.com/Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/simply_breezie/Twitter:https://twitter.com/simply_breezie
UCF Contributor