Book Recommendations Based on Songs From “Fine Line” Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

My last article featured book recommendations based on the songs from the first half of Fine Line. I hope that some of you could add some books to your TBR from that, but I couldn’t leave the rest of the songs hanging. So here are more book recommendations to go with the rest of the songs!

“To be so lonely”

“To Be So Lonely” is the seventh track on the album. When listening, it’s clear that the song is from the point of view of someone avoiding blame for the end of a relationship but still admits to feeling lonely and missing the other person. In a way, this song reminded me of the book Chasing Love by Kat T. Masen. Alex was Charlie’s first love, but he crushed her heart and left without a goodbye. Eight years later, they run into each other, but she’s engaged. Alex is now a billionaire tycoon, but the only thing missing from his life is Charlie, and he will do anything to get her back. 

“SHe”

There are a couple of different takes of “She,” but I interpret this song as being about envisioning a perfect relationship with the perfect person. It seems that the person being described as “She” is either unattainable or hasn’t been introduced in their life yet. In the book Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas, Pike is at the movie theaters when he meets Jordan who is alone and celebrating her birthday. They instantly bond and the chemistry is undeniable. Jordan is literally the girl of Pike’s dreams. After the movie, Jordan gets a call from her boyfriend. That’s when they realize that Jordan is the girlfriend of Pike’s son. Talk about a plot twist, am I right? 

“Sunflower, Vol. 6”

“Sunflower, Vol. 6” is a very light song. This song equates a sunflower to the goodness, brightness and pureness of a person or relationship. The heroine in Sweet Temptation by Cora Reilly comes to my mind right away when listening to this song. In the book, Giulia is a young woman who holds much innocence and hopefulness compared to Cassio, her arranged husband. Cassio is drawn into her radiant personality despite how much he resists it. Giulia also has an obsession with sunflowers which is why this song was literally made for her.

“Canyon Moon”

The song “Canyon Moon” is about reminiscing specific good times with a significant other. It’s assumed that the person has been apart from their lover for a while, but they want to find their way back to them. I think this song pairs well with a book I recently read by J.M. Darhower titled Ghosted. This is a second chance romance that follows a famous young actor, Jonathan Cunningham, and single mom, Kennedy Garfield. They both fell in love in high school and ran away together to follow their dreams. However, things changed, and years later, the only thing that still connects the two of them is their daughter. Their child has never met Jonathan and doesn’t know that her father plays her favorite superhero. Jonathan’s latest film is shooting near his old hometown, so when he gets injured and has to hide from the public eye, he is desperate to go back home to make amends with Kennedy and be in his daughter’s life. 

“Treat people with kindness”

“Treat People With Kindness” is the most straightforward song on the album. It’s uplifting and meant to spread positive vibes. For this track, I picked Archer’s Voice by Mia Sheridan. Contrary to the beat of the song, this book is pretty heart-wrenching. The main character Archer is mute, and he isolates himself from the town since they shun him and treat him horribly. Without giving away too much of the plot, in the end, everyone in the town realizes how much of a kindhearted person he is and completely change their attitudes for the better. It goes to show what treating others with kindness can do. 

“Fine Line”

“Fine Line” is the final song of the album. Much like the saying “there is a fine line between love and hate,” this song describes just that. It’s about making peace with the idea that the relationship is equal parts of good and bad but also being confident that everything will be alright in the end. The book All Your Perfects by Colleen Hoover was a heartbreaking read for me, but it matches with this song so well. Quinn and Graham once had a perfect relationship, but when everything bad over the years builds up, it tears them apart. They struggle to hold onto their troubled marriage and mend their relationship. Their story is an emotional rollercoaster, but the happy ending will make everything worth it!

Having to listen to the album on repeat while going through my Goodreads to look for books that fit each song has been such a pleasure (pun intended). It was entertaining to have to really think hard for some of these. I truly hope you were able to get some inspiration from this and find books that go with your favorite song from Fine Line. Enjoy your reading!

Carissa is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus in business. When she's not writing, she loves to spend her free time online shopping, reading romance books, traveling, and going to theme parks!