Black Friday Shopping Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As Thanksgiving dinner winds down and many family members sleep off their food comas from the day’s events, the dedicated deal hunters prepare themselves for an all-nighter of shopping, shopping, shopping. Black Friday is a Thanksgiving tradition for many loyal holiday shoppers. 

Here are some of this years hottest deals and steals!

Amazon- Amazon’s Black Friday deals are pretty great because a lot of them are going on all week and you can shop from the comfort of your own home. Many of their deals mark prices down 30 to 50 percent. New deals go up each day of the week, so be sure to keep checking their website to see if anything you are looking for is going to go on sale.

Best Buy- Each year, Best Buy always has some of the best Black Friday deals out there! They have great deals on bigger items such as TVs, tablets and laptops. Best Buy will even hand out tickets for certain items to those waiting in line up to two hours before doors actually open. These tickets assure ticket holders will get the deal.

Macy’s– The Black Friday deals at Macy’s range from exquisite jewelry to home appliances to coats.  The sale that caught my eye is the diamond stud earrings that normally retail at $600 and are selling for $199! Sales start at midnight, so this one might be worth waiting in line for.

Nordstrom Rack- Get a $10 gift card for every $100 spent at Nordstrom Rack on Black Friday. Nordstrom Rack already has ridiculously marked down prices, so this is an awesome deal!

Sam’s Club– One of the benefits of shopping here is that it is only open to members, so chances are it might be a little less chaotic. Sam’s Club will be serving complimentary Starbucks coffee to shoppers. Deals feature a wide variety of electronics including a 65-inch HDTV for $998.

Target– Target will open at 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving. Their featured deals are an Xbox 360 bundle for $199.99 and a $49 Nook E-Reader. Also, you can get a free $40 Target gift card with the purchase of a 16GB Apple iPod Touch. Target also has a lot of Black Friday deals on miscellaneous items such as clothes and home items.

Walmart– Walmart Black Friday deals start at 10 p.m. on Thursday night. One of their featured deals is on the iPad 2. Walmart is selling the iPad 2 for $399 and includes a $75 gift card! Walmart is also guaranteeing that if you are in the store between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. on Thanksgiving, you are guaranteed the iPad 2 deal and other deals on TVs and laptops. Check out their website for the full list of deals. They have a ton!

Now that you know some of the great deals out there, here are a few tips to make your Black Friday shopping a success and a little less hectic.

1. Head out with a plan

Before heading out Black Friday shopping, make a plan of where you want to go with whomever you are with. Some stores open earlier than others, so finding out the opening times before you go can save a lot of hassle. Once you find out what time everywhere opens, plan out in what order you want to go to each store.

2. Make a list

Grabbing everything in sight can be tempting when prices are as low as they are on Black Friday. However, if you don’t really need it or don’t really want it, don’t buy it just because it is dirt cheap. Make a list of what you actually are going shopping for before you get there to prevent yourself from spending unnecessary money.

3. Make a budget

Even if you are certain that you will only buy what you came to buy, chances are you will grab a few spur-of-the-moment items that were not on your initial list. Go with a budget and stick to it!

Happy shopping!