Black, Bold, and Beautiful: 5 Women You’ve Never Heard of to Celebrate This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The end of February also marks the end of Black History Month. In 2016, women of color have a lot to commemorate. In recent years, we’ve seen recognition of black women who are killing it all areas, including acting, directing, sports, science, and the arts. Though we have not yet reached equal representation, we can still view the strides we’ve made with intense pride. While the inspiring accomplishments of Hariet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Oprah Winfrey, and Beyonce Knowles easily come to mind, there are so many other incredible women of color that are heavily underrated. Out of appreciation for their achievements in the face of adversity it’s important to keep their voices alive. Here are a few black women in our nation’s history to keep on remembering and celebrating this year, even after the month’s end.

#blackgirlmagic

1. Hattie McDaniel

With controversy surrounding this year’s Academy Awards due to not a single actor or actress of color being nominated- despite viable contenders in films like Creed and Straight Outta Compton- it’s an appropriate time to review the award show’s history of representing black performers. In the 88 years since the awards first began, only 17 African Americans have won. The first of these was Hattie McDaniel in 1940 for her role as Mammy in the sweeping Civil-War piece Gone With the Wind. McDaniel’s win was a monumental moment in Oscar’s history; however, her triumph was still marred by the prejudice of the times. Even on the night she was to win one of Hollywood’s most prestigious awards, she and her date were forced to sit at a segregated table away from her white co-stars. Previously, she had been prohibited from attending the film’s premiere in Georgia due to the Jim Crow laws. Despite discrimination, McDaniel achieved accomplishments- including becoming the first black woman with her own radio show- no one thought possible as the daughter of former slaves. Her legacy continues for black actresses today.

2. Shirley Chisholm

The first African American congresswoman, Chisholm represented the state of New York for 7 terms in the House of Representatives. During this time, she held positions on various committees, and in 1969, she helped found the Congressional Black Caucus. In 1972, she solidified her status in U.S. politics by representing the Democratic Party and becoming the first major-party African American candidate for President. Despite failing to gain the nomination, Chisholm continued to devote her efforts to promoting minority education, equal employment opportunities, and improved healthcare. She also passionately supported women in politics, founding the National Women’s Political Caucus “Tremendous amounts of talent are lost to our society just because that talent wears a skirt,” she was quoted as saying. Awarded the Medal of Freedom posthumously in 2015, her efforts are continually recognized as paving the way for people of color and women in the political sphere. 

3. Wilma Rudolph

An underdog story if there ever was one, Wilma Rudolph was born prematurely and contracted polio at four years-old. The disease left her unable to use her left leg and doctors said she would never walk again. However, after years of physical treatment, she began walking on her own and eventually became an exceptional basketball player and runner. At age 14, she was noticed by Tennessee State University women’s track coach, Ed Temple, who began training her. She didn’t lose a single race in four seasons and went on to the Summer Olympics in Melbourne, Australia, bringing home a bronze medal. In the 1960 Rome Olympics, she set a record for the 200-meter dash, becoming the first American woman to win 3 gold medals in a single Olympics. She returned home triumphant and an international sensation. She decided not to participate in the 1964 Olympic games, preferring to retire while still on top. Instead, she finished her studies and became an educator, coach, and mother of four. She later published an autobiography, served as an ambassador, and joined the United States Olympic Hall of Fame. Still considered the fastest woman in the world throughout the 1960s, Rudolph was the embodiment of determination, resilience, and hard work.  

4. Mae C. Jemison M.D.

A role model for all girls interested in the STEM fields, Mae C. Jemison has degrees in chemical and medical engineering from Stanford and Cornell, respectively, served in West Africa with the Peace Corps as a physician and researcher, and sits on the boards of multiple influential organizations. Oh, and by the way, she was the first African American woman in space. No biggie. In June of 1987, while taking graduate engineering classes in Los Angeles, Dr. Jemison was selected by NASA- out of 2,000 applicants– for their program, becoming the first African American female astronaut. In 1992, she served as the mission specialist aboard Endeavor on the STS-47 mission. She conducted experiments on herself and the rest of the crew during their 8 days in space. After her return, she received wide recognition and many accolades, before leaving the astronaut corps in 1993. Whoever said girls don’t like science clearly never heard of Dr. Jemison. 

5. Bell Hooks

“Feminist thinking teaches us all, especially, how to love justice and freedom in ways that foster and affirm life.” A renowned feminist thinker, author, and social activist, Bell Hooks has prominently covered gender and race, among various topics, over her career. Her method of intersectionality brings the concepts together- rather than addressing them exclusively- linking sexism and racism together. Her repertoire exudes influence by abolitionist Sojourner Truth and activist Malcolm X, to name a few. Her widely-read books, including Teaching to Transgress, Feminist Theory, and All About Love: New Visions, address the education system, acceptance among women of all races and socioeconomic levels, and gender norms within relationships. Hooks has often received criticism for her unformal writing, but defends it as her way of reaching “as many readers as possible in as many different locations as possible”. She has been recognized for discussing pivotal and relatable topics for the everyday woman. 

Image 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thumbnail Image

Ashley Garrett is a second year student and journalism major at UCF. Besides serving as treasurer of her awesome sorority, Sigma Phi Lambda, she enjoys writing, singing along to Sia, and reading anything from Sarah Dessen to Toni Morrison. She's passionate about Bath and Body Works scents, historical dramas, and equality for all. Her ultimate goal is to travel the world and and her spirit animal is Kelly Kapoor from The Office. You can follow her on Instagram @smashley_97!
Maddie is a senior Marketing major at UCF. When she's not writing for Her Campus or her personal blog, you can find her hanging out at Fashion Club or in OSI working on the Mr. and Miss UCF shows. Despite popular belief, Maddie isn't actually the tallest girl in the world. If you're wondering where you've seen her before, it was most likely at a #UCFBusiness event. Maddie enjoys loud pop music, scented candles, and any food with sprinkles on top. She often discusses the SNL cast as if it is a sports team, and likes to pretend that this is endearing. Follow Maddie on Instagram and Twitter!