This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The first week of December has finally arrived and with it comes the socially acceptable beginning to the holiday season. While I’ve been blasting Christmas music since the beginning of November (no judging, please and thank you), I have patiently waited to write this article to respect the wishes of all those fighting for Thanksgiving rights. After listening to 16 versions of the same song for almost a month now, a list of seven has been crafted and ranked. So, courtesy of me and my roommate, here are the best versions of our favorite, yet problematic, holiday classic: “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.”

John Legend and Kelly Clarkson

If you’ve seen La La Land, this rendition sounds a little bit like John Legend’s song in that movie. Adding that musical flourish definitely uplifted the song without overdoing it. While it is a known fact that John Legend and Kelly Clarkson are both blessed with angelic voices, the absolute best part of this version and the reason it’s ranked #1 are the lyric changes. John took this classic and made it less creepy by making the lyrics WAY more respectful. We love to see it.

Ariana Grande and Mac Miller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRObKu2KBeU

This version is unfortunately only available on YouTube, but it’s one of my favorites. Despite the lyrics, this version is so soft and pure. Also, Mac Miller singing alone earns this version its spot on this list.

Idina Menzel and Michael Bublé

As someone who 100% stans Idina Menzel (her voice is gorgeous, okay?), it may be a surprise that she’s only third on this list. This version with the King of Christmas Music himself is beautiful and classic and just makes you feel all good inside, but even I can admit that it’s a bit mundane for Idina Menzel.  

Glee Cast and Darren Criss

This version of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” is honestly a classic. I’m not kidding, I heard it at a random holiday party once. Darren Criss’ voice is smooth and just melts my heart, okay? This version makes me happy every time I listen to it. Also, if you’ve seen the show, Kurt and Blaine in this scene are just adorable.

Seth MacFarlane and Sara Bareilles

Am I the only one who was unaware of Seth MacFarlane’s ability to sing? This upbeat and theatrical rendition of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” was definitely one of the most enjoyable ones to listen to. I was genuinely smiling and laughing while hearing Seth MacFarlane’s surprisingly deep voice (seriously, why was I never told he could sing?) accompany one of the staple voices of our childhood: Sara Bareilles. For that reason, it’s the fifth song on this list.

Rod Stewart and Dolly Parton

Unpopular opinion: I’m not a big fan of Dolly’s voice. She’s an amazing songwriter, but not my favorite singer. I’ll accept all the virtual tomatoes being thrown at me right now. In this version, both Dolly’s and Rod’s raspy voices are heard and it’s great, just not my favorite. However, I really enjoyed the lyric changes in this one, so it gets a couple of extra points.

John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John

Our beloved Danny and Sandy took on the Christmas classic themselves, but with a cute twist — they switched parts! Would we expect anything less from our favorite musical duo? Overall, their rendition was quite average, but very enjoyable with some interesting harmonies at the end.

All in all, there is no shortage of this song circulating streaming platforms everywhere. So, if you’re looking to change things up on your holiday party playlist, consider trying out one of these unique versions of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.”

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Alina is a senior at the University of Central Florida pursuing a double-major in psychology and creative writing as well as a behavioral forensics certificate. Through her writing, she hopes to find her own voice and encourage others to find theirs. When she isn't writing or drowning in class assignments, you can find her in her room reading or binging Netflix shows with an iced coffee in hand. Be sure to keep up with her on Instagram: @alinajalvarez.
UCF Contributor