Avoid It Like The Plague

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In the last two weeks, UCF students were brushed with common colds, flus, and viruses. It was an intermittent chorus of sneezes, coughs, and accented sniffles flowing throughout campus. Not even my own apartment was safe. The germs were spread around each of our rooms.

“I got to Lysol the place!” said sophomore, Diana Gardner about her shared apartment.

Yet still it was not enough, as I found a majority of my classmates and friends had had at least a one-day run-in with the sickly symptoms. Once they start it’s hard to get them to stop, but if we take measures to arm our immune systems with the best defenses, we could potentially avoid sounding like frogs, sneezing on the unknown classmate next to us, and nearly dripping snot on tests.

Wash your hands
This is the number one suggestion on everyone’s list for staying healthy – especially from those parents who remind you every time you would come back into the room; you look at them sideways, curiously thinking, “germaphobe?” But this is not outlandish paranoia at work. Germs are crafty little critters that are most easily spread by touch, which is mostly initiated by hands. So, keep them clean!

Stay hydrated
Our bodies are roughly 75 percent water, and they use that water for proper function like the Tin Man uses oil to move without creaking and squeaking. Keeping your body fueled and “well-oiled” will keep your immune system working efficiently so you can go on without a creak or a squeak. Real fruit juices are great too, especially orange juice, which is chock full of Vitamin C!

Don’t share so much
Maybe it’s Girls Night for you and your best gals. You’ve sauntered in the door and made your way to the bar, gliding in those stilettos you drooled over in the store window, and each of your friends order different drinks. Just because you want to taste every mixture on the bar menu doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to dip your lips in your friends’ drinks if any of you have that inkling you might be getting sick.

Dress for the occasion
Maybe it’s a special occasion and that gorgeous body con dress in your closet is begging you to slip it on for the night. However, short skirts and scanty clothing is a bad idea when you’re going to party in any chilly night air. Long sleeves can be sexy too, and really, what else are boots perfect for? Exposing your body to cold weather without any warm, knitted protection can put your body in a susceptible state, allowing germs to create havoc in your body. Trust me, bar-crawling on Martin Luther King Jr. weekend in only your little dress and heels could knock you into your bed for a week after. Just ask my freshman roommate for verification.

Take daily vitamins
They’re like the threads that make the boxing gloves for your immune system. They help in keeping the body generally healthy. As college students on a budget, it’s hard to see the price tag on many vitamin bottles. Vitamins are a great investment, however, as one bottle will last a few months at least. Look for generic brands too. Many grocery stores have their own brand vitamins that are cheaper than the bigger names like One A Day, but they contain the same helpful ingredients if you compare labels.

Stock up on Vitamin C
Get your pills and powders to get you through. No, not those pills and powders. Taking Vitamin C gives you a great boost to your defense system. Emergen-C is a great option as well – 1,000 mg of Vitamin C in individual packets. Pour one into a glass of water and take a swig! It’s like the chugging part when playing flip-cup, but with immune boosting citrus. There are even Vitamin C gummies for your inner child.

Now, if you start to feel that scratchy throat, the first sniffle or sneeze:

Hearty soup
It’s hot, delicious, and soothing. Soup is a healthy option that often has plenty of protein, fiber, and vitamins to help your body rebuild through all the congestion. Your grandma and your mom knew what was up when they went to make you soup every time you started sneezing.

Sleep!
We’re college students. The meaning of sleep begins to change as the years go on. Beyond that, I am sure you’ve heard the saying “I’ll sleep when I’m dead.” That’s certainly true if you don’t survive your sickness. But how about we stick to getting extra rest and sleep when we do get sick?

Tell your cold to

and leave.

The UCF Health Center is available to all students! During the fall and spring semesters the Health Center is open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays as well. Visit http://hs.sdes.ucf.edu/home.htmlfor more information or call 407-823-2701. Get well soon, and keep well. 

Samantha Henry is a Feature Writer for HCUCF and is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Creative Writing. As a music festival enthusiast, she loves to write about music and how it influences our generation.