Alternatives to Partying: Dessert Minus the Oven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

A night spent in (whether by choice or by force of looming finals) is best accompanied by good food; as a rule, the sweeter the better.

Options? 

You could stock up on the usual, tired ice cream at the grocery store or scoop up a McDonald’s McFlurry on the way home.  Or you could stress out about baking something completely over-the-top and then settle with disappointment as you compare your results with the picture.

Why not ditch the go-to choices and try something new completely? 

That was the mindset tonight as I contemplated what would satisfy my sweet tooth.  An old family recipe and a trip to the grocery store later, and I had all the makings for ridiculously fun cookies.  They taste like Reese’s and there is no oven required.  Always equipped with a budget, the cost is not too hefty, and it makes for tons of cookies.  If it’s just you, you’ll have a delicious snack for days. 

What You’ll Need:
1.      Box of Ritz Crackers (I chose Publix Party Rounds; you can get wheat for a healthier version)
2.      2 tubs of Baker’s dipping chocolate (dark chocolate)
3.      1 container of Peanut Butter
4.      Sprinkles
5.      Aluminum Foil
6.      Fifteen Minutes
7.      Roommates to share with

First, take a cracker and spread peanut butter on it.  Press a different cracker on top to make a peanut-butter and cracker sandwich.  This is the salty/peanut butter part of the cookie.  You can add more peanut butter if you want your cookies to be thicker, less if you want them to be thinner and more crunchy.

Repeat this until you have as many cookies as you want to make.  I would say two packages/rolls of crackers would be a good start. 

When you are done making the sandwiches, go ahead and melt the chocolate according to the instructions.  Be sure to pay close attention to make sure you are melting it correctly.  You don’t want to burn it.  Also, only melt one tub at a time; as soon as the chocolate has been melted you have to dip the cracker sandwiches in. 

After you have used up the first tub of melted chocolate, melt the second tub and continue dipping the sandwiches in. 

When you are finished, place the sandwiches on aluminum foil. 

Now for sprinkles!  Decorate as much or as little as you’d like, and then place the aluminum foil into the freezer.  It only takes about fifteen minutes for the chocolate to harden completely.  Remove, and enjoy!

Another fun variation would be to try white chocolate.  There are tons of ways to decorate them to add variety as well.

Also, with Thanksgiving finally headed our way, there is nothing cuter to bring to your family dinner than these cookies.  It’s fun, and because it takes little time, it is easy to work into your schedule, despite how full it is.  Plus, your family will love you for it. 

Make tonight a night for yourself.