This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Self-awareness is an essential tool for growth and healing. When you can fully accept the good and bad of yourself, you can have an accurate view of why certain things aren’t happening or why you may be stuck. Knowing the answers to these questions can help us achieve our goals. Here are some critical aspects of self-awareness to remember when on your healing journey. 

Your past shapes your perception of the present. When evaluating situations at the current moment, we can get caught in a web of insecurities created by the past. Continuing to feed into these thoughts can lead to anxiety and isolation.

Everyone views the world through their own personal lens. For example, when people respond to us in an unflattering way, we internalize this to mean that we’re the problem. Knowing it isn’t always about us leads us to not absorb others’ problems as our own. The same way we lash out when hungry, stressed or tired is the same way someone else might be lashing out. 

Other people’s feedback is a tool for getting to know yourself when you listen. Listen when someone says you have hurt their feelings, even if you didn’t mean to. They feel bad because of something you did. Listening to another person’s concerns can identify areas you were not consciously aware needed to be adjusted.  

There is a repeated pattern of behavior towards you. It may not be the world’s fault. We’re usually very emotionally blind to the bad aspects of ourselves. So when the same thing keeps happening, we should take it as something to pay closer attention to, as we may be blind to something we’re doing. 

This can bring up some ugly truths, which is sometimes good if we learn to stop judging our emotions harshly. 

Learn to observe your emotions and intrusive thoughts instead of absorbing them as parts of your personality. Letting go of things is essential when we want to achieve our goals. This can apply to anything: thoughts, emotions, past-based explanations and more.

When we know ourselves better, we have a better sense of who we are on a day-to-day basis. Rather than running on auto-pilot, we play an active role in becoming our highest self. Leading to more things coming to us.

Writing in a journal each day allows you to focus on what you accomplish, what you’re grateful for, and what you’re committed to doing better tomorrow, giving a sense of your journey each day. 

Know yourself and trust yourself, and watch as the world unfolds for you.

Kaitlin is a sophmore at the University of Central Florida majoring in design. She's from Miami, Florida, and plans on graduating in 2024. She loves to read and make art. She's all about raising the vibes and creating positive outlooks on life.