8 Things We Could Learn From 2014 Golden Globes Hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Comedy queens. Television game changers. Strong supporters, and examples of, women leaders. The reason behind the classic teen movie, Mean Girls, that still defines a generation 10 years later.

These are just a few of the actions and accomplishments that both Tina Fey and Amy Poehler have accomplished as women leaders in the comedy world.

Over the years, whether it has been through the movie Mean Girls or the shows 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation or from their days on SNL; Tina Fey and Amy Poehler have shown us what real beauty truly is. That it is completely awesome and okay to be smart, independent, geeky, weird, and a little sassy.

This weekend, the comedy BFF duo hosted the 7th Annual Golden Globes on NBC on January 12th, at 8PM Central. While we can learn a thing or two about them on preparation (they will be hosting the globes in both 2014 and 2015), here are 8 quotes/advice that we could learn from Tina Fey and Amy Poehler when it comes to our own career and life!

• Amy Poehler- “Great people do things before they are ready. They do things before they can do it…Doing what you’re afraid of, getting out of your comfort zone, taking risks like that- that is what life is.”
  • Tina Fey- “When hiring, mix Harvard nerds with Chicago improvisers and stir.”

Generally speaking, one thing you can learn from this quote as you continue to accomplish your dreams is that everyone has something to teach you. Be open to meeting people who you might think are different from you.

• Amy Poehler- “Rooting for other people’s failure gets in the way of your success.”
  • Tina Fey- “Do your thing and don’t care if they like it”
  • Amy Poehler- “The great thing about taking big chances when you’re younger is you have less to lose, and you don’t know as much so you take big swings.”
  • Tina Fey- “Never tell a crazy person he’s crazy.”

What might seem as “crazy” to you, might be “normal” for the other person. Also, according to Tina Fey’s experience as a boss in her Comedy Series, “the most exhausting people turn out the best stuff”.

• Amy Poehler- “If you can speak about what you care about to a person you disagree with without denigrating or insulting them, then you may actually be heard, and you might even change their mind.”
  • Tina Fey- “…and then you have to let it go. You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the water-slide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute.”
Ligia Forbes is a student at the University of Central Florida, and a Her Campus UCF News Writer. Afro-latina, World Traveler, UNICEF Advocate,Big Sister, and lover of living life on purpose.
UCF Contributor