7 Non-Translatable Words That Capture How We Feel in Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Relationships are complicated. They are even more complicated when you can’t seem to find the words to describe how you feel. Here is a list of 7 words to describe love, desire and relationships that don’t have an English translation, but capture feelings we have all felt at least once or twice.  I can promise you will have at least one ah-ha moment while reading through this article.

Mamihlapinatapei (Yagan, a South American language): The silent yet meaningful look shared between two people who desire to initiate something, yet neither has the courage to make the first move. But you both know something will be happening some time very soon!

Yuanfen (Chinese): A relationship by fate or destiny, drawing on principles of predetermination among lovers and friends. It is the “binding force” that links two persons together in any relationship.

Retrouvailles (French): The happiness of meeting again after a long time. This is in dealing with those who are in long-distance relationships, or for those who only see each other periodically for intense bursts of pleasure.

Ilunga (Bantu): One who is willing to forgive abuse the first time, tolerate it the second time, but never a third time. We find ourselves trying to love imperfect people who’ve failed us. We all have different tolerance levels, but we also all have our limits.

La Douleur Exquise (French): The heart-wrenching pain of wanting someone you can’t have. This is the one feeling we have all experienced and will continue to experience, because everyone wants what they can’t have.

Ya’aburnee (Arabic): The hope of dying before someone who you cant live without.

Forelsket: (Norwegian):  The bliss you experience when you’re first falling in love. Nothing can seem rain on your parade. What used to be your worst day can easily be turned into the best day ever.