This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Horror has not been kind to women. Even in the genre’s gothic origins, women are reduced to their bodies, portrayed by stereotypical traits that reduce them to one of the two sides of the Madonna-whore complex. In more modern films and novels, final girls spend the span of the story escaping the grasp of chainsaw-wheeling villains.

So when I find novels that portray women in more dangerous roles, whether they’re getting revenge on an abuser or toeing the line between anti-hero and villain, I can’t help but think “good for her.” If you support women’s wrongs just as much as I do, here are seven horror novels that’ll have you rooting for female anger.

Slewfoot

In horror writer Brom’s latest novel, Slewfoot: A Tale of Bewitchery, the outcast of a 17th-century Connecticut village turns to an ancient spirit of the woods to fight for her freedom after her husband dies mysteriously. In a time when the slightest suspicion of witchcraft could get you killed, the pair brew a war between pagan and Puritan. Slewfoot is a gruesome mixture of haunting prose and gothic paintings all done by the novel’s author, Brom.

Not All Monsters

Not All Monsters is a collection of short stories by female horror authors. This anthology is the epitome of what “good for her” books mean. Edited by Bram Stoker Award winner, Sara Tantlinger, each of the 22 stories featured in the book tells the story of a female protagonist who takes no shit. If you’re looking for short fiction where women save themselves, slay the beast, and become the monsters, then Not All Monsters is the anthology for you.

Manhunt

Horror is no stranger to post-apocalyptic journeys. But, Gretchen Felker-Martin gives readers a new tale that takes the popular survival genre and twists it into a timely story in the age of J.K. Rowlings and Ron DeSantises. In Manhunt, three transgender survivors must escape the grasp of murderous TERFs, wealthy maniacs, and feral men all while facing their own demons.

Side note, this book is dark. While it does fit into the wide range of novels that the horror genre covers, it best fits into the subgenre of splatterpunk. Splatterpunk is best distinguished by its intense and graphic depictions of violence. Manhunt in particular features triggering content such as death, cannibalism, rape, and torture. Read at your own risk.

Goddess of Filth

Nothing says girl’s night like a séance. In V. Castro’s Goddess of Filth, a group of best friends accidentally cause one of them to become possessed. When the local priest, convinced that it’s a demon, develops an alarming obsession with her, the friend group band together to understand what’s happening and save their friend from the ancient power that has her in its grasp. On top of being a horrific tale of girl power, Goddess of Filth also features Mexican and Aztec culture with its cast of Chicanas living in southern Texas.

The Manningtree Witches

Set in 17th-century England, A.K. Blakemore’s brilliant debut novel The Manningtree Witches highlights the misogyny that underlines the witch trials of the 1600s. When a mysterious man arrives in the predominantly female town of Manningtree, he sparks dangerous rumors that put women who don’t fit into society’s status quo at risk of being labeled witches. The Manningtree Witches puts male arrogance to the test as suppressed women take a stand against the system that has kept them chained to the men around them.

Her Body And Other Parties

Carmen Maria Machado is one of the most well-acclaimed Latina authors of modern times, and for good reason. Her experience as a queer woman growing up in a religious household has influenced a number of her works, including her haunting memoir, In the Dream House. Her Body and Other Parties is a collection of short stories that portray the reality of womanhood and the violence that’s placed onto our bodies. My favorite of the stories, “The Husband Stitch,” embodies the themes tackled in this collection, such as consent, boundaries, and the obsession with women’s bodies.

Carrie

It’s only fair to end this list with one of the classic “good for her” novels of horror. Stephen King’s iconic debut novel Carrie follows the titular character as she struggles with the intense bullying she receives at the hands of her classmates. When she discovers that she has telekinetic powers, Carrie takes it upon herself to seek revenge on her bullies and the town that has outcasted her.

Feminist horror is more popular than ever, with female characters being displayed in powerful positions. This list only contains a handful of literary masterpieces that tackle horror’s obsession with the female body. If you’re looking to read more horror without the underlying sexism, I hope this list serves as a starting point in your bookish journey!

Monyka (she/they), pronounced like "Monica" is the current Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UCF. She's currently a senior majoring in Creative Writing. Normally found in her room scrolling through Twitter, Tik Tok, or Instagram and browsing Netflix. You can also catch her around campus, binging on coffee and listening to music.