7 Deadly Sins of Casual Sex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Casual sex is something many college students engage in. It may appeal to so many because you achieve a physical relationship with someone, without having to deal with the messiness of emotions and relationships. But just because we are getting older, doesn’t mean we are getting wiser. As Hollywood has shown us through “Friends with Benefits” and “No Strings Attached,” friends that decide to incorporate sex into the relationship is not always the best idea if you want to stay friends. Or casual sex can result from a drunken stupor or it can form with someone you communicate with, solely by text messages with a when and where. While the perks of being sexually satiated may be fulfilling, there are many problems with this approach to dating.

Here are the 7 deadly sins

1.      Low Self-esteem
The morning after, when you perform your walk of shame, you may be starting to question your self-worth. Many girls feel ashamed and embarrassed if they have a one-night stand, especially if alcohol was involved. And if you’re not ashamed now, then when you’re in your 30’s, married with children, you may look back on your wild Lohan-like days and be horrified.

2.      Sexually Transmitted Diseases
If you’re involved in a causal relationship, then more than likely it’s an open relationship. You have to assume that he, or maybe you, may be having sex with other people. It wouldn’t be a far reach for one of you to catch an STD. So be responsible, because a condom doesn’t protect you from HIV/AIDS.

3.      Shady Past
When the time comes when you meet that person that you want to have an exclusive relationship with, he’s probably going to ask you about your past relationships. It might be hard for him to accept that you were having casual sex. Of course you could always lie, but secrets rarely stay buried.

4.      Jealously
It can be very hard to detach yourself from the person you are intimate with. There’s not some switch that you can flip that will make you not care if you see him talking with other girls. We’re human. Jealously can destroy the concept of a casual relationship-which suggests that you aren’t supposed to care.

5.      Getting Attached
Depending on how long this relationship lasts, one of you might start to develop feelings for the other person. Suddenly your carefree arrangement is transformed into an ultimatum – either commit to a relationship or leave. It can be especially hard when you’re the one wanting more of the relationship – and if he doesn’t feel the same way, you’re left with a broken heart and a lonely libido.

6.      Booty Call
Casual sex is essentially a booty call that may continue over a period of time. That text that you receive at 2 in the morning – no, is not a family emergency, just a sexually aroused boy. Instead of two people that have some compassion for one another – you are two people using one another.

7.      Judgment
Your friends may not always approve of this type of relationship. So when they find out about this arrangement, get used to long talks about the injustice you’re doing to yourself or the even more awkward – do they have a friend?