6 Things I Learned From My Sister’s Wedding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I remember exactly where I was when I found out my newlywed sister was engaged to her husband. I was in the backseat and my best friends were sitting shotgun and the other in the driver’s seat.  I was confused when I received a text of a picture of a hand with a ring.

One person that I have loved my entire life and another who I have come to love as a brother, two people that naturally made sense together were going to get married. When I finally made the connection, I screamed-or squealed, in dramatic fashion.  

While I have attended more than a few weddings, I was able to learn new things from my sister’s wedding. Being a part of the wedding party is another experience.

1. Cute and creative themes are acceptable.

The wedding invitations and the seating cards had bees and designs that replicated the structure of a bees nest, and the souvenirs for the guests was honey! Even though it took me awhile to make the connection (three days before the wedding), the thought put forth in order to create intricate details for the theme made me feel warm inside.

2. I can cry happy tears and sound like I am at a funeral.

I could take the easy way out and blame it on my period but I won’t. If young and beautiful was being played by a harpist as you watched a couple exchange heartfelt vows to each other, would you be able to keep your emotions in check?

3. You can actually see the love between two people.  

Love is intangible because it is not a physical state and cannot truly be defined. That day I saw it clearly. It was in the way they held eyes and could not look away, the way they shared smiles the entire ceremony, and the way the held on to each other after they shared their first kiss as husband and wife.

4. The wedding ceremony can be funny.

The only time I have ever seen a funny wedding ceremony was on Youtube.  After embarrassing myself by crying, it was a relief to have something to laugh about! Instead of handing the groom the ceremony ring, the best man pulled out a set of handcuffs. I may have laughed a little too much even.

5. Weddings bring out the best in people.  

No matter how much you plan, something will go wrong.  In reality, setbacks can be more difficult to resolve but not on wedding days. The genuine willingness to help was inspiring to see and be around.

6. This special day is what you make it.

In contrast to last November, this November has featured more rain than sun. But on this day, a couple of hours before the ceremony started, the rain stopped. Despite the minor obstacles that arose, I was there to witness people rise to the occasion and partake in a unforgettable night filled with laughter, dancing, and love. 

UCF Contributor