6 of the Most Iconic ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ Entrances

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

RuPaul’s Drag Race is a competitive reality show where drag queens participate in challenges to prove they have charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent. During the first episode of each season, the queens enter the work room one by one and have the chance to say nearly whatever they’d like as an introduction to their drag persona. Some are more memorable than others, but these six are the most iconic. 

Shangela’s Season 3 Entrance

Ah, yes, the iconic box entrance. After being a fan favorite in season 2, Shangela was invited back to compete on RuPaul’s Drag Race for its third season. This is not an unusual occurrence, however, this was the very first instance that a queen returned to the show. RuPaul told the queens he had a surprise as the Pit Crew brought out a large pink box. Shangela then erupted from the vessel and shouted, “Halleloo, ladies!” 

Vivacious (and Ornacia)’s Season 6 Entrance

A metallic blue boxy figure enters the room with a bedazzled foam head sitting on top. Every other queen in the room is extremely confused, as are the viewers. In complete silence, Vivacious dramatically attempts to unzip the top of her garment. Gia Gunn, another competitor, tries to encourage Vivacious during this awkward moment by chanting, “Yasss…yas, mama…” Others hoot and holler until her face is revealed. Vivacious draws her fan, and announces, “Motha has arrived.” It’s beyond meme-worthy, and I cannot even begin to describe how entertaining it is. 

Laganja Estranja’s Season 6 Entrance

“Oh, y’all wanted a twist, eh? Come on, season six, let’s get sickening!” Followed by a death drop. Yet another season six entrance. It truly was that legendary. This may be one of my favorite entrances ever; the outfit, the quote, the death drop — it’s truly timeless. 

Latrice Royale and Manila Luzon (Latrila)’s All Stars 4 Entrance

RuPaul’s All Stars Drag Race is a separate show from RPDR that invites back previous queens to get another chance to win the crown. The first season of the franchise was a bit experimental as the queens were put into pairs, rather than competing individually. Many drag race fans pretend it doesn’t exist. However, Latrice Royale and Manila Luzon (team Latrila in AS1) entered the workroom for the fourth All Stars season wearing handcuffs. It was a comedic reference that fans gagged over. 

Tempest DuJour’s Season 7 Entrance

This may be one of the most underrated entrances of all time. “Who’s ready for some hot tuna casserole, because mama’s home!” Then a baby doll drops from her legs as she groans. I am still mesmerized by this bold introduction. It was so unexpected. 

Sasha Velour’s Season 9 Entrance 

Sasha comes through the double doors, spreads her arms, and simply screams. It’s concise and really gets the point across. This entrance is a 2020 staple. 

This barely begins to cover the amazing entrances over the years. If you’d like to see more, RuPaul’s Drag Race is available on Hulu, Amazon and VH1.com. There are over 150 more entrances to see! 

Courtney Malalel is a smoothie enthusiast and sophomore at the University of Central Florida, studying to become a pediatric oncologist. When she isn't writing for HerCampus, she is painting, dancing or making runs to Universal to hop on Jurassic Park. You can also find her petting any cat in her general vicinity.
UCF Contributor