5 Ways To Stay Organized In All Of Your Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Now that the Fall semester has resumed for most of us college-goers, it’s a good time to fall into good habits of organization. Without it, there’s a chance for procrastination, falling behind, and not understanding lessons. As college students, it’s very important to keep GPA’s up in order to stay a part of most study programs (ahem, Journalism), so by all means, organization becomes essential and is the key to success. Staying in line is simple as long as one creates study habits and keeps them without giving up so easily. Then, boom: a routine is formed.

1. Keep a planner handy, always

That planner is your saving grace. Make sure to have one that’s going to motivate you to use it. This means spice it up and get one that’s colorful, has different tabs for contacts, emails, and birthdays, and one that has plenty of space to accommodate for your writing. With a planner that includes all of these things, I use mine everyday and it’s the reason I don’t slip up on assignments and hand them in late. Use the method of crossing out things when they’ve been completed, and whatever doesn’t get done gets done the next day; so transfer the assignments over and over until they can be crossed off.

2. Utilize writing utensils for customization

Ladies and gents, we all know there are those people who love to use highlighters and pens to make work our own. Be careful though, don’t use pens for your homework (unless your professor enforces it). When using colors to type my notes for class, or using colorful pens to write down my homework and class assignments, it makes it all the more fun to be able to cross it off or check it off of my list when I finish it. Being creative can motivate one to use the tools in their possession, I promise you. It works.

3. Check online for any additional last minute to-do’s

For my fellow UCF students, web courses is our best friend. Professors utilize the online web course to post grades, assignments, and syllabi onto. For those of you outside of UCF, undoubtedly, professors use some kind of online program such as Canvas or Blackboard to communicate with their students outside of the classroom. Aside from assignments written in your planner, there could be pop-up assignments or pop quizzes/tests. Always make sure to check each tab for assignments throughout the day. Professors won’t warn most of their students that they have an assignment coming up that’s due; primarily, that’s the student’s responsibility. Be responsible!

4. Listen in class and take diligent notes

I’m the type of person who has to take notes down in class because I won’t remember them later. I’ve met students who have a photographic memory, and people who also just click with the subject that they’ve learned in class. When that happens, it makes it simple to remember things and use the information later for exams. People like me need their notes, and I cradle them like babies. They’re essential, and if I don’t take really good notes, I know I’ll miss out on something. The bottom line is: If you think you won’t remember it later, write it down. I can’t stress this enough toward college students because notes are what help students to pass their exams and retain the information to take away from the class.

5. Don’t sit near your friends, it’s bad news

As fun as it might be to have people in your classes that you know and talk to outside of class, it’s not a good idea to sit next to them. Getting distracted is really easy to do. Not only that – the professor will notice giggling/looking down at phones/talking over them as very rude. When they’re there to teach, students need to listen. After all, for some of us, we’re paying for this type of education. Make it worth it and don’t waste your money, honey!

To succeed like I know you want to, take these 5 things and carry them with you. Remembering them will put you on the right rainbow path to the gold at the end. College can be tough, but it’s worth it in the end, especially for those that are determined to make it to the finish line.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Shari is a senior and a Psychology major at the University of Central Florida. She loves to write, edit, works multiple jobs and loves working with animals more than anything else. A part of virtually every social media site, Shari loves scrolling through her feeds, reading comments and threads, and writing weekly articles. Wanting to make a career out of her studies, Shari is on a clinical track working to become a Psychiatrist. Shari strives to be the best version of herself every day and wants to go far with her career. She also hopes to help those around her and is always offering to reach out to anyone for help.
UCF Contributor