5 Ways to Make a Divorced Thanksgiving Bearable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s that awkward time of the year again! Don’t get me wrong, I’m not all cynical, I love food and adore my family, but it’s a real pain having to figure out where and when I’m going to each house on Thanksgiving and whose feelings I may or may not hurt. So over the years of being a transient child, I’ve developed some tactics for all others who may want to decrease the yearly level of angst.

Take Turns

Sometimes, for me at least, it becomes exhausting having to go to multiple houses, multiple destinations all in one day, to appease our loved ones. So it’s helpful to take turns, last year was mom’s thanksgiving and now this year it’s time to spend it with dad. You’re able to devote more time to one single parent and no one can say it’s unfair.

Don’t be Bitter

Throwing temper tantrums isn’t going to make this day any easier–trust me, I know. So suck it up and eat your step mom’s casserole that you hate but she makes every year. And don’t give your mom an attitude when she sets another place at the table without your permission. This day goes by easier without cattiness and brooding, despite what you think.

Become Best friends with Your Siblings

If you’re lucky enough to have them, your brothers or sisters are your best friends during the holidays. It helps to have someone you can complain to, crack jokes and be cynical with. Even if you guys only get along on these select few days every year, make sure you do and see how much easier it gets!

The More the Merrier

Don’t complain if you have multiple Thanksgiving dinners because more food, hello. And more turkey and more pumpkin pie. Once you begin to think of the day as one big save at the grocery store for you, you become a lot more accepting. Also, don’t forget to save the leftovers and take them back for finals week. Nothing is more comforting than stuffing yourself with pumpkin pie the night before your orgo exam.

Be Thankful

Sometimes, we are far too busy punishing our parents for not giving us a picture perfect family life or a Better Homes and Garden style holiday that we forget how much we have. We have multiple people that love us, multiple sides of stuffing and multiple times to show our family how much we love them right back. So, without losing too much of my cynic nature, I urge you to push pettiness aside and take this day for what is, one to be thankful for.

UCF Contributor