Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Valentine’s Day Tips For Long Distance Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Love is in the air! Along with pollen and other allergens accompanying February, but that’s okay.

As Valentine’s Day rapidly approaches, I’ve realized that most people either love or loathe Feb. 14. As someone who deeply appreciates all things pink, red, and heart-shaped, I can’t wait to celebrate, and let my boyfriend, family, and friends know how much I care for them (friendly reminder that V-Day celebrates love in general, whether it be familial, platonic, self, romantic, etc.).

However, as someone also in a long-distance relationship, I’m a bit less than thrilled. Of course, I want to do all the cute stuff that requires us to definitely be less than 100 miles apart: picnic, sit at a table for two, walk along the beach, paint, bake, or even just hold his hand. When people told me it wouldn’t be easy, Valentine’s Day didn’t even come to mind.

And even though they may not be ideal, there are still plenty of easy, fun, and romantic ways that you and your long-distance partner can celebrate this February. Here are five tips on how you and your significant other can have a good time this Valentine’s Day.

have a movie night

Thankfully, there are now countless ways that you can watch a movie with others online. Netflix Party is a popular browser extension that rose to popularity during the pandemic. It’s free, syncs your video playback, and even includes a group chat alongside the video. If you’re not so tech-savvy or don’t have Netflix, that’s okay too; FaceTime and Discord are your friends. Both allow you to share your screen and simultaneously enjoy your favorite movies. Snuggle up under your blankets, pop some popcorn, and prepare for a good rom-com movie.

play a game online

Listen: I’m not much of a gamer, but when my boyfriend convinced me to download Minecraft so we could play together, I was sold. I was surprised to enjoy the game so much, and it is now one of our favorite stress-relieving activities. Minecraft’s adventurous open world lets you explore new ways to bond with your partner. If you don’t have Minecraft or don’t want to purchase it, then there are plenty of other games you can play virtually (and for free). Code Names, Chess, online cards, and— a personal favorite— BuzzFeed quizzes. Who wouldn’t want to know what side character from Shrek their significant other is? It’s goofy but promises both of you a good laugh.

have a study date

Unfortunately, Valentine’s Day falls on a Tuesday this year, and we get it— sometimes, there’s just too much going on, and you may not have time to watch a movie or play a game. The stress of classes, work, internships, clubs, and more may get to you, and that’s okay. There’s comfort in the little things too, and sometimes, that can be sitting in silence studying together on FaceTime. Think about making a study playlist to listen to or taking a break every 30 minutes to do something fun with your partner.

write to each other

Since you can’t express your love for each other physically, do it through your words. You don’t have to be Shakespeare or anything, but your significant other may feel touched to be the subject of poetry. If you’re not feeling much of a poet, a simple paragraph, song, or letter of adoration will surely speak volumes to your partner.

be optimistic

I used to tell my boyfriend that I felt like he “wasn’t mine anymore” since he lived so far away. Remember that even though you may be apart, you do still have each other (so cheesy, I know, I’m cringing at myself). Focus on the good memories you’ve had together, the next time you’ll get to see them, and that such a wonderful person is in your life. And if none of these options seems feasible for you and your partner, a simple call and an “I love you,” works too.

Raiya Shaw is an undergraduate student at the University of Central Florida pursuing majors in Sociology and English: Creative Writing. She loves performing slam poetry, solving jigsaw puzzles, and consuming large amounts of coffee.