5 Things To Do Around Orlando Under $5

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Living in Orlando can be overwhelming, especially because there are endless things to do. Additionally, being a college student makes it tricky to enjoy all of the offerings due to the expenses that come from admission, food, parking and shopping. To relieve some of this stress, I’ve compiled a list of five great spots around Orlando that you can visit without paying more than five dollars. 

Lake Eola park
Nice Day Water GIF by City of Orlando - Find & Share on GIPHY

Located in the heart of downtown Orlando, Lake Eola Park offers gorgeous views of the lake and the Orlando skyline while walking around the trail. The path around the perimeter of the lake is about a mile long, making it the perfect distance to walk or run to replace a workout. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for some of the sculptures that have been installed around the lake, as well as the wildlife that make the lake their home. Lake Eola is also home to the Walt Disney Amphitheater, which often does free showings of movies, plays and concerts. The best part? Besides parking, spending a day in the park is free!

charles hosmer morse museum of american art

Located in Downtown Winter Park, the Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art is a hidden gem. Admission into the museum for students is only $1, which grants you access to the entire museum and all of its collections. The museum houses a collection of artwork from Louis Comfort Tiffany, the first design director of his family company, Tiffany & Co. This artwork includes massive stained glass panes, jewelry and a chapel interior — as well as a replica of Tiffany’s home. If you’re interested in early American history or have an affinity for stained glass, definitely add this museum to your list.

Ride the Sunrail
Train Hello GIF by City of Orlando - Find & Share on GIPHY

Michael Scott once said “I’m running away from my responsibilities, and it feels good” while hopping on a train with no destination in mind. If you’re looking for something new to try, or want to explore a new neighborhood close by, hop on the Sunrail! There are stations in Orlando and Winter Park, and you can purchase round-trip tickets to travel to Kissimmee or Sanford, to name a couple. Make sure to look at the Sunrail schedule to see what time you should plan to leave each location in order to get back to your original stop. Disclaimer: While most tickets are under $5.50, the most expensive round trip ticket is $7.50; however this is all dependent on where you’d like to travel to. 

Disney Springs

We wouldn’t be in Orlando if there wasn’t at least one reference to Disney, so here is my guide on what to do in Disney Springs in order to not break the bank. Parking and admission into Disney Springs is free, and there is enough to do throughout the center that you don’t need to spend more than $5 if you don’t want to. One of my favorite activities is sitting up in the Coca-Cola rooftop lounge around 9:00, where you’ll be able to catch the Epcot fireworks. Many of the drinks at the Coca-Cola store are under $5, so you can grab your friends and watch the fireworks and take in the view with a refreshing sip. Additionally, at Goofy’s Candy Store, many of the treats such as “Goofy’s Glacier” are also under $5. Disney Springs also offers nightly entertainment on the stage across from the World of Disney. The stores in Disney Springs are also perfect for window shopping because they’re so unique. The Art of Disney is a store that also functions as an art gallery that offers exclusive Disney-themed creations, and you can also stroll through The Lego Store to see the massive Lego sculptures. 

Lake nona Town Center
Digital Art GIF by NowThis  - Find & Share on GIPHY

The Lake Nona Town Center is a bustling spot filled with food trucks, art and local vendors. Everything in the Town Center serves as the perfect backdrop for Instagram photos. Seriously, even the parking garages make for a perfect backdrop. You can even bring multiple outfits to take advantage of the different murals and architecture around the center. Parking and admission to walk around the town center, and most of the food trucks have bites and drinks under $5. On weekends there are local vendors that sell art, jewelry, clothing, home accessories and other sweet treats. There is live music on select nights as well as seasonal activities for free, just be sure to check out their webpage. 

So, if you’re bored and looking for something to do, but don’t want to break the bank — try one of these options!

Hailey is a junior at the University of Central Florida pursuing a degree in marketing and a minor in mass media. Besides writing, her hobbies include keeping up with celebrity gossip, reading, making collages and watching TV. She cites her biggest inspirations as Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, and Blake Lively, but deep down knows that some days you just wake up feeling like Nick Miller.