This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Content warning: The books mentioned may contain sensitive topics.

I strongly believe that books are an incredible way of expanding our minds and gaining different life experiences, but they can also just be fun stories! For me, they’ve always been a way of connecting with others, and I love the idea of being able to share my books. These are some of my most recently read books, their quick summaries, and what I took away from reading them.

Everything I know About Love by Dolly Alderton

This book started my love for memoirs, and I took away so much more than I thought I would from it. Dolly Alderton takes us through all the seasons of her life, and she manages to do it in the funniest and most heartmoving way. It’s about all her good and bad experiences, lessons, stories, friends, and love. It doesn’t feel like just a book; it feels like a diary, or like advice from an older sister. She talks about how hard growing up is and how finding your way through this world can get messy. I constantly find myself thinking about or referring to this book when I feel stuck. It struck a chord with me and I couldn’t recommend it more, especially if you’re a girl in your 20s just trying to figure out life.

On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by ocean vuong

This book was heart-wrenching in the best possible way. I was hooked from the first chapter and truly left in awe. It’s a letter to a mother from a son, uncovering their story and their family history. It dives deep into topics of culture, class, race, generational trauma, and the American dream. It’s raw, honest, and eye-opening all at once. I’ve never been so deeply affected by a book, but this powerful story is incredibly moving and beautifully written.

The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren

I hate to admit it, but I’m a major sucker for rom-coms, especially enemies to lovers. The Unhoneymooners is a sweet and easy read revolving around two characters who are sworn enemies but somehow end up on a free honeymoon trip to Maui. They have to play the role of completely in love newlyweds, but (surprise surprise!) they’re not actually pretending. It’s the perfect read for a vacay trip, and it’s so refreshing having a Latina woman as the protagonist.

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

This incredible story follows Lale Sokolov, a holocaust survivor and tattooist who marked thousands of prisoners while being in these concentration camps. While Sokolov watched and experienced horrifying actions, he also saw acts of hope, love, and bravery during this dark period in time. I really appreciated these personal stories because they gave insight into a specific time in history and the experiences humans faced and endured. It’s also a story about perseverance even at the lowest point, teaching us that love trumps all.

My Year of Rest and Relaxation By Otessa Moshfegh

I wouldn’t even know where to begin explaining this book. It’s disturbing, twisted, shocking, and strange in every possible way, yet also darkly humorous. Our main character is doing everything in her power to sleep through one year in the hopes of being reborn and starting clean. Through her efforts, we get more details about her past, her family, and her relationships. My jaw was pretty much on the floor the whole time, and I had to put the book down on several occasions, but Ottessa Moshfegh is a great writer and managed to explain perfectly how terrible and consuming life can be at times. 

Alexandra is a senior at the University of Central Florida, originally from Miami, Florida. She is majoring in Graphic Design and loves photography. When she's not at the beach, you can find her cooking, reading or binging New Girl.