This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

After dealing with cystic acne and hormonal breakouts for over 10 years, I’m still not a licensed professional, but I definitely should be. Hi, it’s me, your acne-fighting skincare wizard here to share all of my best tips, because gatekeeping is for losers. Here’s to clear skin!

Less is more
Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

During my struggle with acne, if I learned anything, it’s that a simple skincare routine is always the way to go. When my breakouts were at their worst, I was purchasing so many products just out of sheer desperation — trying to find that miracle must-have that would solve all of my skin problems. I tried face masks, chemical exfoliants, essential oils and everything in between, which just made my acne more inflamed. It was only when I traded my elaborate skincare routine for a more minimal approach that I saw an improvement in my skin. Now, I just use a sulfur/salicylic acid bar soap and an oil-free moisturizer, both of which can be found for a pretty affordable price on Amazon or at the drugstore, along with a topical retinoid cream when I have a really stubborn breakout.

Oil-free or nothing

One of the best decisions I made was switching my skincare and makeup products to all oil-free formulas. Acne is often partly caused by an overproduction of oil, which builds up in the pores and serves as a breeding ground for breakout-causing bacteria. I switched to an oil-free moisturizer (I use Neutrogena HydroBoost) as well as oil-free foundations and concealers. Some makeup brands that have acne-friendly lines I’ve quite enjoyed are bareMinerals, e.l.f. and ColourPop.

Pillow talk

Change your pillowcases. Do it, right now. I’ll wait. This is a tip I had heard for years but never really took advantage of until recently. I don’t know if it was skepticism or pure laziness, but now I feel silly for not trying it sooner. Washing your pillowcases once a week is a great way to prevent those nightmarish breakouts and start waking up fresh-faced. Another pillowcase tip is to switch from cotton to silk. Cotton can harbor that pesky bacteria we talked about earlier, as opposed to silk which has anti-microbial properties. Silk pillowcases are supposed to be good for your luscious locks, too, so it’s a double win.

Switch up the shower routine

I was always a wash-my-face-in-the-shower kind of lady, but not anymore. Washing your face in the shower isn’t great because it can expose your skin to bacteria (ugh, again…) as well as the harsh chemicals that might be in your hair products or body wash, which could irritate the skin. Also, if your preferred shower temperature is molten lava, like mine, direct contact with your face is not the best idea. I suggest washing your face in the sink after you shower to avoid any cross-contamination and leave your skin squeaky clean.

No touchy touchy

Touching your face throughout the day can be a tough habit to break. When I’m out and about or sitting in class, I often feel inclined to rest my face in my hands, but this can be a significant cause of breakouts. Even if you frequently wash your hands, you will probably end up touching something yucky that could cause a breakout, like greasy food for example. Make your face a no-touchy-touchy zone and you’re one step closer to clear skin.

Something we don’t talk about enough is how acne can affect our mental health. It can be really challenging to deal with, especially when you’re in college and none of your friends with perfect skin understand. I’m here to tell you that your acne-prone skin is beautiful. No matter what you might think, people don’t see you for your breakouts and they don’t judge you because of them. If getting rid of your acne is not your focus right now, that’s totally cool. This is just what worked for me, and if you choose to use these tips, I really hope they work for you, too!

Jordan Sammarco is a Biomedical Sciences major at the University of Central Florida, and is originally from the Jersey Shore. (Yes, like the TV show.) She is a vegetarian and passionate environmentalist/animal lover. Jordan spends her time listening to dad rock, obnoxiously laughing, and over-caffeinating herself.