This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Though I am a recent pledge to this decade of life, it seems like I’ve been an honorary member since before middle school. I blame my mother and her willingness to take me to romantic comedies that seemed a little ahead of my time. However, I can’t help but thank her for preparing me with her greatest tool: Meg Ryan. I couldn’t help but notice her presence throughout my childhood and, come to think of her as a role model for how I’d want to be when I grew up (whenever that may happen). Though she played an intricate role in shaping me and, who I want to be, others that have graced the silver screen can’t help but be an influence to a young woman. Your 20’s can be roaring, mild, stressful and lovely. You learn more about who you are and, never stop growing into who you imagine yourself becoming. You’ve surpassed the childishness and immaturity of your teenage years. Now you have begun to blossom into the strong creature nature intended. The ups and downs of life will continue and, when they do, you can turn to the list below to get you through these trying times. 

• Mona Lisa Smile

This 2003 film stars Julia Roberts, Kristen Dunst and Julia Stiles in a coming of age story about an all-girls university during the 1950’s. In a time when marriage was everything, a new professor breaks the façade of the “perfect housewife.” She questions the status quo and gives her students a perspective they’d never seen before. This movie is perfect for a girl’s night but be sure to grab a box of tissues.

• Sleepless in Seattle

It’s everything you’ve ever wanted in a rom-com. Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks are love interests in a fantastically woven tale of loss and love. Both live on opposite sides of the country but find each other in a wonderful turn of events that’ll make you believe in soulmates. By the end of the film, you’ll learn to never settle and that it is perfectly fine to take risks and have an adventure. Tissues will be needed, but it’s worth the mascara stains running down your cheeks. 

• Working Girl  

Though it’s a complete blast from the past, this flick is everything great about the 1980s. Sigourney Weaver and Melanie Griffith are business women in a male dominated work environment. They succumb to the temptation of sabotaging each other in an effort to climb the business ladder. However, with some assistance from Harrison Ford, the one true working girl ends up on top. Half way through the movie you’ll be tempted to try and rock shoulder pads.

• Bridget Jones Diary 

Honestly if you have yet to see or hear about this film, I’m not sure what sad existence you’ve led. Renee Zellweger, Colin Firth and, Hugh Grant star in this perfect rom-com about being single in your 30’s. Grab your friends and some popcorn because this is a film you’ll want to share.

• My Best Friend’s Wedding  

Julia Roberts stars in this drama filled rom-com that’ll leave you feeling emotions you’ve never known. Roberts attempts to let go of her best friend, and first love, so that he may marry a young Cameron Diaz. Betrayal and angst are some of the things you’ll feel while watching Roberts plot and scheme to have her way. By the end, you’ll be wishing and hoping you’d have seen the movie sooner.

Photo credit: Cover1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Colleen is majoring in Journalism and minoring in Political Science at the University of Central Florida. Along with being a staff writer for Her Campus, she volunteers with the Young Women's Leadership Program, or YWLP. When Colleen isn't volunteering or writing, she is attempting to keep her plants alive. She claims that if she weren't looking for a writing career, she would try out being a florist. Her first inspiration to pursue journalism was none other than the quirky reporter Keely Teslow, from Disney Channel's Phil of the Future. What has continued to inspire Colleen to continue on in a journalism career is her constant curiosity and passion for writing about life.
UCF Contributor