This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Ah yes, Ms. Taylor has done it yet again. Taylor Swift released her seventh studio album, Lover, on August 23rd. Our ears? Blessed. Our minds? Fantasizing about the first dance at our wedding. 

The release of the new album has Swifties seeing an enchanted, whimsical and airy side of Taylor—a complete 180 from the darkness that enraptured her preceding album, Reputation. In the 18 tracks, Swift highlights her old sound with a new taste. Rather than her focusing on the mistakes that lead to the downfall of her past relationships, she emphasizes the beauty and grace of love. This album, which is a “love letter to love,” has already taught us some pretty important ideals everyone needs to hear. 

I Forgot That You Existed

And I thought that it would kill me, but it didn’t.

In the opening track of Lover, Swift tells her past “Boy, bye!” The 2:50 minutes is an ode to ourselves, letting us all know we are stronger than we think. We’re all able to move on and get over, it’s as easy as that.

“Lover”

This is our place, we make the rules.

The title track, being so timeless, captures the perpetual feeling of true love. The dazzling romance of this track highlights pure warmth and affection. As “Lover” is Swift’s most romantic song yet, it resembles aspects of the Speak Now era. The wedding vow-like lyrics even have fans wondering if she’s trying to announce she and Joe Alwyn, her boyfriend of three years, are engaged. These relationships we get ourselves into are a two-way street. So if you’re the only person putting the effort into it, sis, he’s not worth it. In this household, “WE make the rules” not just one person. Having all the pressure put on you is no way for life to be lived, darling. 

“Death By A Thousand Cuts”

But if the story’s over, then why am I still writing pages?

Within these lyrics, Swift tells all about a devastating breakup in which she wanted more out of the relationship than a hookup, but the first rule of relationships is you can’t make someone feel something they don’t. We’ve all been here, holding on to someone we know is toxic for us, just because we loved the attention they gave us. However, in the wise words of John Mayer (“Dear John”) all we can do is move on and get over; time heals all. Rather than put your energy into trying to “fix” that relationship, put it towards something that’ll make you grow! Get that revenge body! Get together with some girlfriends! Start a new hobby! Put it towards anything that would make Taylor proud!

Tryna find a part of me you didn’t take up

Gave you too much, but it wasn’t enough 

But I’ll be alright, it’s just a thousand cuts

When you give someone your all, you can’t be mad at yourself when the relationship comes to an end. There’s nothing more you could have done. Goodbyes lead to new hellos. Endings can be beautiful too, just go outside tonight and watch the sunset if you need proof!

“False God”

Staring out the window like I’m not your favorite town

I’m New York City

On the 13th track off the album, Swift reminds us to know our self-worth. Don’t settle for someone who doesn’t see you as the best thing that’s ever happened to them. If he doesn’t treat you like the princess you are, girl, channel Eleven from Stranger Things and dump his ass. Know your worth, but don’t forget to add the tax and tip!

“Afterglow”

Fighting with a true love is boxing with no gloves

Chemistry ’til it blows up, til there’s no us

Why’d I have to break what I love so much?

It’s on your face, and I’m to blame

Now this is something Swift does rarely: apologize. However, over the years, she’s grown. Her powerful, cryptic voice tells us to take responsibility for our actions. Sometimes we have to fall victim and pay the consequences to what we’ve done, and own up to it.

We still can’t calm down because Lover has sold more copies than Drake’s Scorpion, which sold 742,00—what a queen! Swift’s latest masterpiece sold 991,800 in its first week and her unit sales are especially impressive considering we are in the age of digital streaming. Swift is not going to be touring this album right away since her Reputation tour ended not even a year ago.

It may be three weeks later, but the #1 topping album has us up until Daylight bopping to every track!

Ashley is a senior at the University of Central Florida studying Advertising and Public Relations. Her roots are in Boston, but she grew up in South Florida. She's currently the Social Media Director of HCUCF, with hopes of working PR for a fashion magazine one day. Ashley's a lover of puppies, glitter, and spending way too much money on shoes. When she's not writing, you can find her shopping, working out or being the grammar police on all her friends' texts.
UCF Contributor