5 Local Orlando Haunts to Check Out This Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

When I got to college, I had no idea what to do for Halloween. People were not handing out candy, and more importantly, there were no events going on. Or so I thought.

There were actually plenty of events that I didn’t know about. With Halloween fast approaching, I wanted to round up five local Halloween events in Orlando that will get you ready for the spookiest night of the year.

Greenwood Cemetery Tour

Would Halloween really be Halloween without walking through a cemetery? Well, technically yes, but this certainly adds to the spooky experience. Downtown Orlando will be giving tours at Greenwood Cemetery on both Oct. 25 and Nov. 15.

This 4-mile walk will show you the final resting places of prominent figures in Orlando’s history and is the ultimate Halloween activity.

You can register online here. Tickets are free.

Cocktails & Screams Bar

What makes this bar so unique is that it’s Orlando’s first and only Halloween-themed bar. Set to open in downtown Orlando soon, the bar is filled with scary Halloween décor, creepy music and an all-around spooky atmosphere.

They also have drinks that include Frogs Breath and Jack and Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas. They really nailed the Halloween theme here.

You can check out their website here. This bar is only for those 21 and older.

Halloween Horror Nights

This is definitely one of Orlando’s biggest and greatest Halloween events. Some of the themes for this year include Stranger Things and Us that bring these scary shows and movies to life. Get ready to be scared out of your mind.

HHN is open on select nights, from 6:30 p.m. to either 1:00 a.m. or 2:00 a.m.

You can check out their website here. This event is not recommended for children under 13.

A Petrified Forest

If walking through a cemetery isn’t your thing, walk through a dark forest instead. On select nights through Nov. 2, you can venture through three outdoor scare trails to explore at night.

You can buy tickets here. Tickets cost $20 per person for two trails or $25 for all three trails.

Painted Oaks Pumpkin Patch

Maybe being scared out of your mind is not how you would spend your Halloween (it’s not how I would spend mine). Instead, consider going to one of the many pumpkin patches in the area and take pictures. You can even take a pumpkin home and carve it with friends.

You can check out their website here. Admission is free (pumpkin not included).

Overall, Halloween is a really exciting day. There are plenty of activities and events going on in the Orlando area, so you are sure to find something. And if none of these sound remotely interesting, turn on a scary movie and sit comfortably at home.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Monique is a student studying Advertising/Public Relations with a minor in Political Science at the University of Central Florida. She avidly enjoys reading, writing, and being with friends and family. She is part of several organizations on campus that are helping her promote positive change and unleash her creativity.
UCF Contributor