5 Easy Ways Collegiettes Can De-stress in 5 Minutes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Uh oh, ladies! It’s the middle of the semester again when most collegiettes are working hard to keep those grades up, and not to mention other responsibilities like work, clubs, volunteering…and trying to stay fabulous. It can get pretty busy, but we need to make sure we’re not working ourselves too hard!

Throughout our busy schedules, most of us don’t even have time for that desired one-hour back massage, trip to the beach, or even a day to just sleep in. Have no fear though, here are some easy and effective ways you can de-stress in five minutes. Try these exercises throughout your day to make it just a bit brighter!

1. Indulge Yourself in a Little Treat

Having a little piece of chocolate won’t hurt anyone; eat a couple of Hershey Kisses or Lindor Truffles. If you don’t like chocolate, choose another guilty pleasure that will never fail you. The sweet sensation will automatically bring a smile to your face. When you have that little treat, try not to multi-task. Just sit down, put away that work and your phone, and enjoy this five-minute break and your delicious delight.

2. Five Minute Music Throwback

Sometimes you just need to have a mini dance party in your car. The best time to break it down is when you’re driving from point A to point B when you’re alone or even with your friends. Blast your favorite oldies song and take it back to the day with ’90s classics with Britney Spears, timeless rock with Journey, oldies hip-hop with Mariah Carey, or dance favorites with Michael Jackson.  The music will bring you back to a careless place where you’ll be laughing and dancing your stress away.

3. Stretch and Breathe

Push your laptop and books away, stand up from your chair, and get away from that studying desk, it’s time to get out of that cramping position of looking down at homework. Get your blood circulating again and breathe deeply to get some oxygen back into your system and reduce stress hormones. Start by closing your eyes and roll your neck and your shoulders. Continue to keep breathing deeply while shaking your arms out and rotate your hips. Reach up high to stretch your back out. Exhale when you relax from the stretch and inhale when you feel your muscles pull. This will recharge your energy and you’ll feel refreshed and ready to continue working hard.

4. Write Happy Thoughts

Take a moment and just stop thinking about everything you HAVE to do and now focus on things you have already done or give compliments to yourself. It’s okay to have a little vain moment. Give yourself some well-deserved appreciation. This will not only take some stress off, but it’ll add to your confidence and self-esteem. Love yourself!

5. Aromatherapy

Scent is an important sense; it can even reduce stress levels. Studies show that smell is also closely tied to memory.  Use candles to go back to the beach, visit grandma’s warm kitchen with fresh baked cookies, or escape to a field of flowers. If you can’t get to a candle, carry around some scented lotions. Peppermint will awaken your senses and increase your alertness and jasmine will relax you and put you at ease. Rub some lotion on your hands while giving yourself a quick neck or hand massage and relax.   

Good luck ladies and find that balance of work and fun. Don’t forget to set aside time for yourself to just relax and distress, even if it’s for five minutes!