Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Common Safer Sex Myths That You Probably Thought Were True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Let’s face it: nowadays, safe sex practices aren’t as updated as they should be. In fact, most high schools’ sexual education is outdated or not included in their curriculum. As a result, teens grow up believing the wrong information and spreading multiple rumors. With social media platforms playing a BIG role in today’s society, everyone knows that misinformation travels quickly! So, it’s best to be proactive and able to separate the truth from the “fake news.”

Now, it’s time for MythBusters: Safer Sex Edition. 

“All condoms protect against STIs.”

Have you ever heard someone tell you that all condoms protect against STIs? Well, that’s a false statement for sure. There are two main types of condoms: latex and lambskin. Latex condoms are the most common, but people with latex allergies tend to use lambskin condoms. Now, I know you’re probably extremely confused on how they make safe condoms made out of animal skin. Relax, the name is just really misleading. Lambskin condoms are actually​ made out of lamb cecum—the pouch at the beginning of lamb intestines. This natural membrane condom is just as effective as regular latex condoms when it comes to preventing pregnancy when used correctly.

The downside to lambskin condoms is that they’re not recommend to protect against the transmission of STIs and HIV by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and other health centers. Especially when thinking about the STIs that are mainly transmitted through skin-to-skin contact; the diseases can still transfer through the natural membrane condom. Also, they’re really expensive… so choose wisely.

“You can use any type of lube with condoms.”

Speaking of condoms: not all types of condoms are compatible with all types of lube! There are three main types of lube: oil-based, silicone-based and water-based. Latex condoms and oil-based lube are NOT friends. Latex condoms will disintegrate when used with oil-based lube. It’s best to use water-based and silicone-based lube with latex condoms (Fun fact: another pro for lambskin condoms is they’re compatible with all three types of lube.)

“Oral sex is the safest.”

Let’s get one thing straight: this statement is 100% wrong. Even though oral sex is not the same as typical penetration sex, you can still contract STIs and HIV the same way. The inside of your mouth is just as vulnerable to these sexually transmitted infections as… well, you know. The point is that neither way is safer than the other. So, it’s important to take precaution and be as safe as possible!

Did you know that oral condoms exist? Y e s. There are many different types: dental dams, female condoms, flavored condoms, etc. Be cautious that flavored condoms should NOT be used during penetration, it’s not safe.

“The pull-out method is better than using condoms.”

The pull-out method is not extremely reliable. It’s a “technique” that cis-men and other persons with penises use to essentially “pull out” before they ejaculate, thus preventing pregnancy for their partner, while avoiding condoms.

While many think they’re able to control themselves and pull out before they ejaculate, that’s not always the case. People can ejaculate without realizing, pull out a second too late, and yes, “pre-cum” can still get you pregnant. That’s why it’s important to skip the “lazy” version of protecting yourself and your partner from pregnancy scares and USE CONDOMS PROPERLY!

“If you’re on birth control, you don’t need to use condoms.”

Birth control is pregnancy prevention that comes in many different types: pills, IUD, the ring and many more. Although it’s a very effective form of pregnancy prevention, there are many mishaps that could occur. You or your partner could’ve missed a day on their pills, their pills weren’t as effective as they should’ve been or many other valid reasons. Birth control is not 100% effective, so it’s best to still use condoms during sex. Just because birth control could protect against pregnancy most times, it doesn’t protect against STIs and HIV. So, use condoms… please!

Well, kids, we’re at the end of this episode of MythBusters: Safe Sex Edition. It’s important to remember that your sexual health should ALWAYS come first. Protecting yourself should be a priority, so finding out the true safe sex facts is what’s most important to shape the safer sex practices that work best for you. Always be sure to do research when you hear any sex-related statements that sound fishy. Be proactive and ahead of the game!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

UCF Freshman studying Entertainment Management with minor in Business Administration. I'm a cofounder of The Safe Sex Project, a South Florida-based organization that is focused on educating youth (ages 13-25) on inclusive safer sex practices, resources and tools that are intersectional. I am bisexual and a feminist. My favorite hobbies are singing, dancing, acting, poetry and painting. My long time goal is to own a traveling theatre company and dance studio. I hope to continue my journey being a youth activist while owning my business.