Girl With Hair Blowing In The Wind Fall
Girl With Hair Blowing In The Wind Fall
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

5 Artists To Enhance Your “Sad Girl Autumn” Vibes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

“Hot Girl Summer” is gone, the breeze is….as cool as it can get here in Florida, and everything should be falling into place. When this time of the year comes around, it’s easy to romanticize the sweet sound of the crunchy leaves while tasting your favorite pumpkin spice drink and crying to “All Too Well” by Taylor Swift (the 10-minute version, obviously). Sometimes, a new season can bring unexpected things with open doors that might be overwhelming to walk through, and spooky challenges that are tough to manage. Regardless of what this new season brings you, your new “Sad Girl Autumn” playlist is brought to you by both happy and sad tears. Extending beyond Taylor Swift’s iconic Red album, these artists have their own distinct power to connect you to a place of their own. Each with an underlining sense of heartbreak, growth, and falling in love.

phoebe bridgers

From her song entitled “Halloween”, to her skeleton onesies, I could not have thought of a better artist to kick off our list. It’s hard to find a song that doesn’t fit the “Sad Girl Autumn” aesthetic in Phoebe’s discography, and each one twists you into a heart-wrenching story and keeps you wanting to listen on. Light a cinnamon candle, press play, and tune in to the spooky sounds of sadness.

Gracie Abrams

After opening up for Miss Taylor Swift on tour, and being well in the know with all her lyrical wisdom, Gracie’s new album Good Riddance takes new heights in connecting to the listener in a vulnerable and raw way. Songs such as “Block Me Out” and “Best” can remind you of the dark sides of fall, while “The blue” and “Full Machine” provide a calmer, and nostalgic mood. Gracie’s voice greets listeners with a sweet crisp, so all you can think about is bundling up, turning up her album, and reliving every romantic scenario in your head.

Ethel Cain

When I first listened to House in Nebraska, a song off of Ethel Cain’s album entitled Preacher’s Daughter, it gave me a completely new definition of what “Sad Girl Autumn” is meant to be. Cain explored the fear of loneliness and was able to transcribe the depths of a cold, abandoned home into a beautiful, composed melody.

Maisie peters

Maisie welcomed in the season with a new take on pop lyrics and storytelling. Her “Hot Girl Summer” anthem “Lost the Breakup” begins a pattern with her other tracks, as she realizes her sweet dilemma of loving someone she lost, but loving herself even more. My standout tracks from her new album entitled The Good Witch easily became “History of Man”, “Therapy”, and “There It Goes.” With a fitting name for her album, she was able to set the scene for a time of year filled with upbeat, breezy tunes.

Lizzy Mcalpine

Well, after her song “ceilings” went platinum and one million listeners cried in their cars, I couldn’t gatekeep her anymore. Lizzy’s album Five Seconds Flat executes an exclusive vision of fall, and you see it all the way up to the cover art. This is the perfect album to listen to when you’re snuggled up on the porch with some apple cider, looking out into a nice, orange sunset, but also when you’re setting up your brand-new Halloween decorations and want to jam out.

I hope this gave you some inspiration to enhance your “Sad Girl Autumn” vibes this year!

Julia Zanatta is a senior at University of Central Florida. This is her third year writing for Her Campus, and she is so grateful to be a part of the team. She is majoring in English, Creative Writing track. In her free time, she likes to read, journal, paint, and listen to music.