This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As a young woman, traveling back and forth to my classes alone is already hard. So when traveling with services such as Lyft and Uber, I always prefer to keep my guard up to be prepared for whatever circumstances may happen. I personally keep these little things in mind when using rideshare services to keep myself safe:

1. Tell someone

You can never be too cautious, so it’s always best to let someone know when you’re traveling to and from. Lyft and Uber give the names, license plate, time of departure and arrival to help improve safety. I personally like to screenshot their general information that I’m given and send them to my parents so that they know where I am and that I’m safe.

2. Pay attention to your surroundings

When traveling, it’s always a good idea to pay attention to your surroundings. While on the way to and from your destination, pay attention to the route your driver is taking. Pick up on small landmarks, such as a store at a specific intersection or a skyscraper that’s always on the same route, so that you know where you are at all times.

3. Stay alert

I’ve been known to fall asleep when my parents are driving, but when taking a ride with a stranger, you always want to stay alert. In addition to paying attention to your surroundings, you want to make sure that you are alert and present for any possible situation, like if your driver takes a wrong turn or needs to stop for any reason. To improve your safety with these services, try doing things that’ll keep you awake and focused instead of dozing off or getting distracted.

4. Communicate

Never be afraid to communicate! I’ve only had positive experiences using these services (knock on wood). If you don’t like something your driver is doing, respectfully ask them to stop or voice your opinion in some way. It may be worrisome but they’re usually more than happy to adjust the circumstances to make you more comfortable with the ride.

Now, these tips aren’t to scare you of what may be out there in the world but strictly to help keep you safe when using these services. I strive to help others in any way possible and this to me is a big risk one takes when traveling. My parents raised me to never get into a car with a stranger, but that’s all Lyft and Uber are about so the best way to keep others safe is to give advice on ways to make the trip safer for everyone!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 

Maria is a Freshman at the University of Central Florida majoring in Architecture. For her, life and college is full of opportunity. Now although there isn't much writing involved in Architecture, she has an open mind to anything and everything from designing to art, writing, and photography. A normal day for her is usually sleeping in, going to class, doing homework, and planning for her blog while sitting on the sky deck of her apartment soaking up the beauty of nature. Between managing both her personal Instagram as well as professional Instagram for her blog, Maria one day hopes to travel the world as a Master Architect designing some of the world's biggest creations sharing thoughts and pictures for the enjoyment of others. To keep up with all her updates follow her personal Instagram at (xp.marix.a) https://www.instagram.com/xp.marix.a/ or her blog at (x.lifesabeach.x) https://www.instagram.com/x.lifesabeach.x/ . Also, be sure to check out her blog at https://xlifesabeachx.wixsite.com/llyl !
UCF Contributor