11 Ways to Guarantee an A in Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

These are practical things that we have all heard at one point or another throughout our college experience. No special formula is given, no secret. As the semester comes to an end and finals begin, this is a great opportunity to save ourselves from a failing grade. If not this semester, next semester for sure. Consistency and determination must also be considered. Of course there are other ways, but these are the 11 ways I chose to guarantee an A:

1. Come to class, come on time

It’s pretty self explanatory, guys! The good old fashioned roll call. Coming to class and being on time keeps you aware and ahead in your classes. You never know what you are bound to miss if you fail to show up or are late to class. Sometimes professors give a pop quiz, extra credit, or mention something that will be on a test or assignment that may not be found in the book. You must come to class in order to participate, as many professors count attendance.

2. Read and refer to your syllabus

Your syllabus is very important. It is not simply passed out to us at the beginning of the semester for us to crumble up or misplace. Your syllabus is essential and provides you with your everything you need to know about your course: objectives, your professors contact information, important dates, classroom and grading policies. Before you ask your professor a question, ask yourself, “could that be in the syllabus?”

3. Get to know your professor

Sometimes at a huge campus like UCF it is easy to feel like your professor is so distant and impossible to communicate with, but as a college student it is your job to be proactive! That means visiting his or her office from time to time to express concerns or emailing throughout the semester for clarity. Take advantage of your professor’s office hours, if those times conflict with your schedule address your professor to find times that suit you. Your professors are there to help! Do not go to them at the end of the semester for pity, especially if you have never communicated with them during the semester.

4. Take good notes

Your notes in class may not be as thorough because many professors use PowerPoint and are limited to the amount of information they can display. Some of us write slowly trying to keep up, so we miss things. Don’t depend on your professor!! Go back and make notes of important things that may have been repeated over and over, usually those things are fair game for an exam. Use quotes, highlighting, circle page numbers, bolded words so you may revisit these things later. Personally, I like to retype all of my notes and save them to my flashdrive, this way the information is legible, and easily stored so that I can go back and edit things in the future and study later.

5. Exchange numbers with a classmate

The first day of class is usually the most awkward because it is a new classroom, new faces and a new professor in most cases, which can a bit intimidating. By the end of the semester, you should make it a point to have at least two contacts. When the semester is over you can delete their number if you wish, unless you become good friends. Facebook and Twitter are always options if you do not want to give out your number.

6. Attend study sessions/reviews

This, in my opinion, is one of the biggest factors in the difference between someone who got an A in the class and someone who got some other grade. Study groups can be very helpful. They allow you to get to know your classmates and allow you to share and compare notes, ask questions, answer questions, and gain clarity. Helping others helps you to understand things better as well.

7. Build on concepts

Don’t wait for your professors to introduce the information to you in class. Take it upon yourself to read ahead in your books and handouts so that you have a grasp on the what will be discussed in the next class and build on those concepts little by little.

8. Ask questions in class

We ALL seem to have that one person in class that loves asking questions all the time! We can never seem to get out early because they ask a question right before it is time to leave. However, asking questions is essential to gain clarity and many times your classmates have the same question but are afraid to ask!

9. Use a creative study technique

Do what works for you! Some people find using flashcards work, other use wordy study guides. Acronyms are a great way to learn new concepts as well, take PEMDAS for example (Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally) the mathematics order of operations. How do we know that?! Because it has been drilled into our brains over and over again.

10. Cut the cramming

We are all guilty of the “C” word! Whether it be the night before or the morning of, we have all tried cramming for a paper or test. And well, sometimes cramming actually works. However, cramming will not ALWAYS work! We need to give ourselves adequate time to get the material into our brains and let it solidify. Not cramming keeps us calm and stress free!

11. Don’t miss the final

For some of us, the final is optional — an accessory! But for others of us, the final is what determines our fate in the class by replacing a low score. Sometimes finals are at 7 a.m. in the morning and although it seems impossible for us to get up that early, that final helps if you previously bombed a test.

For those that already have As, I am sure you do all or a combination of these things! So keep up the great work! For those who are borderline and far behind, you may still have time to get that grade you desire…so push yourselves even harder!