10 Movies to Get You Into the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Happy October ladies! Since it is now officially the beginning of the month, here is a list of some of the best movies to get you into that spooky Halloween spirit!

10. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

What’s this? A movie that combines Halloween AND Christmas? All in one? Sign me up! This classic, directed by Tim Burton, has enchanted audiences with its beloved characters, soundtrack, and of course, the fact that it is a Disney film. This light-hearted film will have you in the Halloween spirit for sure, while also having you sing “This is Halloween” all October long.

9. Halloweentown (1998)

This one definitely gets you into the Halloween mood. One of Disney Channel’s best original movies—hands down—takes you on a journey through the eyes of a young (newly discovered) witch, as she tries to save the fictional “Halloweentown.” The film’s scene-stealer is the incredible Debbie Reynolds, the grandmother of the young witch—who will forever be our Grandma Aggie.

8. Beetlejuice (1988)

Say his name 3 times, and you know what happens. Tim Burton’s other Halloween classic incorporates the comedic and quirky side of the holiday. We follow a deceased young couple as they deal with their newfound positions as ghosts, and try to scare the new family inhabiting their home. We also can’t forget the great performance by Winona Ryder—in one of her first film roles—as the goth teenager that aids the couple.

7. The Conjuring (2013)

My personal favorite, The Conjuring is a true scary movie. Not reliant on cheap theatrics and a weak storyline, this film successfully manages to frighten audiences while still containing a decent plot. The husband and wife duo of paranormal investigators help a suburban family defeat the demons haunting their house in this installment of the series, while also introducing another horror story character, Annabelle.

6. The Shining (1980)

“Hereeeee’s Johnny!” Regarded as one of the greatest horror films ever made, The Shining is a real bone-chiller. Based on Stephen King’s novel, we watch the collapse of Jack Torrance’s sanity in one of the creepiest hotels ever. The hotel isn’t the only thing that’s creepy though…no one can forget the infamous “REDRUM” twins. Remind me to never get stuck in a hallway with them.

5. The Addams Family (1991)

I hear the echoes of snapping in the distance. This timeless odd family is always able to serve up some laughs. You can’t think of Halloween and not have Gomez, Morticia, Wednesday, and Uncle Fester cross your mind. If you need a comedic break in between the scary movie marathon this holiday, definitely check out this one. 

4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Freddy Kruger has been haunting dreams since the 80’s, terrorizing us into staying awake at night to keep from being his next victim. Of course his boiled, disfigured face and razor hands are the key to our fears, but that red-and-green striped knit sweater is equally as horrendous. If you really want a good scare, this Wes Craven directed hit is perfect. But, if you’re only watching to see the young and handsome Johnny Depp, I’m certainly not judging.

3. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Name a more iconic trio…I’ll wait. No seriously, these 3 fabulous witches have created the perfect Halloween spirit potion with this film. This movie is bound to be on TV during this holiday season due to its standing as a cult classic. It was also just announced that a remake of this gem is currently in the works. In order to be ready to celebrate Halloween, I recommend you letting the Sanderson sisters put a spell on you.

2. It (2017)

As if the buzz surrounding this movie isn’t enough of a signal, this is definitely a must see. Join “The Losers’ Club” in their quest to defeat the petrifying Pennywise the Clown, who feeds off children’s fear. This picture guarantees a good scare, but also can provide some comedic relief as well. The band of kids that make up the Club are hilarious as they are amazing, and rooting for them takes your mind off of 6’4” clown that is trying to eat them—for a few minutes at least.

1. Halloween (1978)

It’s going to be a bloody mess. #1 on this list has to be a shout out to the most famous slasher in Halloween history, Michael Myers. Halloween has been so popular throughout the years that it has a whole 10 movies in its franchise, including the original. This timeless film is essential to the spirit of the holiday—all paranoia included. Halloween wouldn’t be the same without a trip to Haddonfield and the gory chaos that unfolds when Michael Myers comes knocking at your door.

That’s my list! I hope these movies are a part of your Halloween movie marathon and that you all have a happy holiday!

Peyton is in her junior year at UCF. She is a journalism major and a political science minor. She has always had a passion for writing and enjoys  being a UCF HerCampus team member. Go Knights! 
UCF Contributor