This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I finally gave in, everyone. I have officially started watching The Bachelor for the first time ever in my life. And yes, it is true that I’m already addicted. 

Growing up, I didn’t know anyone who watched this show. Which, apparently, is shocking to everyone I know now because they’ve all been watching it since they were kids. It wasn’t until I came to college that I learned that most girls, and a lot of guys, too, are obsessed with this reality TV show.

I decided it was time for me to change my ways and become a viewer of the show since my best friends love it, and I knew it would be a fun thing all of us could watch together. Also, my sister started watching The Bachelorette last season and needed someone to gab about the show with. Who knew a reality show would be a way for me to bond with my friends and sister? Probably everyone, besides me.

But they aren’t the only people I get to bond with over this phenomenon. Because this show is so widely watched, I have found myself talking to strangers about it. For example, I have a class that goes until 9 pm on Mondays, and another girl in the class and I became friends over the fact we were both missing watching The Bachelor live.

As a Bachelor newbie, I do have to acknowledge that this whole show is such a strange concept. I know, I know, it’s reality TV and most of it isn’t real, but seriously, all these people live in a mansion together and try to marry the same man. That’s really weird. Yet, we still enjoy it.

Watching the first episode I was definitely playing catch up, trying to understand how the show works in entirety. With Peter getting to pick people for single dates, group dates, and the mingling and rose ceremonies, I am following along now, for the most part.  

So far, the weirdest part of the show would be all the kissing. I get it, Peter, you’re dating all these women at the same time and kissing is important when trying to find love. But, again, it’s just weird. He kisses one girl and then another, with very little time in between. And all the girls find out and can see him kissing other girls. Like, what? I feel bad for them, and totally understand the jealousy element.

I guess this is what makes it so entertaining. I mean, I’m already hooked and obviously will be watching every single episode for the rest of my life. But, it is so unlike dating in real life, it is just hilarious.

So, there you have it. I have converted to this lifestyle of being a Bachelor fan, and I thought everyone should know. I know it’s ridiculous, and I am fully embracing it.

Happy Bachelor viewing everyone!!!

Courtney is a senior at the University of California Davis where she is earning her degree in Communication, with minor in English. Courtney is a member of Alpha Delta Pi and is from Santa Barbara, CA. She is an avid reader, Netflix and Hulu watcher, beauty enthusiast, and is a big foodie!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!