This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As the weather gets colder, I’ve switched out my light summer clothes for my winter essentials. While it doesn’t snow here in Davis, the mornings and afternoons can still be chilly. With that being said, here are some winter closet essentials that I find myself always going for during winter quarter:

Puffer jackets, and even padded vests, are a great addition to your wardrobe because they keep you warm walking around campus. They’re light and comfortable, and go well with nearly any outfit. Puffer jackets with a hood are a big plus, since they keep your ears warm.

Leather jackets are another stylish addition to your jacket rotation for the winter time. If a brand-new leather jacket is outside of your budget, consider looking for one at the thrift store! Leather jackets make a simple outfit more put together, and are actually surprisingly warm. I always wear my oversized leather jacket when I go out on the weekend with friends, and it makes me feel a little more confident in my outfit.

Turtlenecks have always been a winter closet staple, but mock necks don’t seem to get enough love. There’s less fabric around the neck, so it gives a similar look as a turtleneck does minus the suffocating feeling turtlenecks can sometimes cause. A mock neck can bring attention to any necklace you wear and is a great layering piece to have on hand. 

High quality jeans are always a good essential to have, but especially in the winter time, high quality jeans tend to be thicker and sturdier. This not only keeps your legs warm, but they keep the wind from blowing right through you. Levi’s are a tried and true brand for quality, and I come across them all the time at the thrift store if you want to save money. But if you want to invest, finding high-quality denim jeans that fit you perfectly will never go out of style. 

This may seem like an unusual essential, but over-the ear headphones that double as earmuffs on cold morning commutes. Over-the-ear headphones have become a fashion trend earlier this year, and it looks like it is not going anywhere anytime soon. Since getting the Sony WH-1000XM4’s, I have worn them every single day to school. The noise canceling headphones make walking to classes so much more enjoyable, and on colder days they keep my ears from freezing off.

For shoes, I seem to always go for my chunky loafer-style shoes. I’ve become a big fan of chunky platform shoes in general, because not only do they make me taller, they seem to add more personality to an otherwise basic outfit. I always go for my vegan leather TUK platform creepers when I want to feel like a badass walking to and from classes. The low rise cut also gives the opportunity to show off any cool socks you own!

Of course, these are just suggestions for what to wear this upcoming winter season, but living in Davis for almost four years now, these pieces have served me well every winter quarter.

Emily is a recent graduate from UC Davis, with a bachelor's degree in Communications and Cinema & Digital Media. She is currently Design Director for VITA at UC Davis and Digital Media Director for Her Campus UCD. She enjoys thrifting and getting coffee with friends.