Why Self-Discipline Is More Important Than Motivation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

“Don’t expect to be motivated everyday to get out there and make things happen. You won’t be. Don’t count on motivation. Count on Discipline.” – Jocko Willink”

Personal and professional success hinge on two crucial elements: self-discipline and motivation. Although both play integral roles, their functions and influence vary considerably. While motivation can serve as a potent initial catalyst, it tends to be transient and vulnerable to fluctuations. In contrast, self-discipline emerges as a more enduring and steadfast force, consistently propelling individuals toward their objectives over the long haul. Discipline entails consistently showing up and putting in the effort, irrespective of your current level of motivation. It involves establishing habits that are harmonious with your objectives and steadfastly adhering to them regardless of external factors.

Motivation is like the wind in the sails of a ship – it can push you forward, but its strength can vary depending on external factors such as mood, circumstances, or external stimuli. It’s inherently tied to emotions and can be affected by both positive and negative influences. In contrast, self-discipline is an internal compass that guides behavior regardless of external circumstances. It involves making consistent choices and taking actions aligned with long-term goals, even in the absence of immediate rewards or positive emotions.

Dependending solely on motivation, a significant challenge arises as its vigor tends to dwindle with time. The initial thrill or eagerness may fade, creating hurdles in maintaining consistent effort when confronted with obstacles or setbacks. Conversely, self-discipline involves nurturing habits and routines that seamlessly integrate into one’s lifestyle. It entails the capacity to adhere to a task or goal even as the initial enthusiasm diminishes and the journey becomes demanding.

Furthermore, self-discipline nurtures a feeling of responsibility and accountability. It enables individuals to assume ownership of their actions and choices, acknowledging that sustained effort and dedication are pivotal for success. While motivation might ignite a surge of activity, it is the daily habits and disciplined actions that pave the way for substantial and enduring accomplishments.

In the pursuit of long-term goals, self-discipline acts as a stabilizing force. It helps individuals stay focused on the bigger picture, resist distractions, and persevere through difficulties. While motivation may fluctuate, self-discipline remains constant, providing the necessary structure and resilience to overcome obstacles on the journey to success. In essence, self-discipline serves as the backbone of sustained achievement, making it more crucial than momentary bursts of motivation.

Ritu is second-year Cognitive Science major at UCD. She enjoys working out, cooking, fashion and spending time with friends . Ritu is an advocate for self-love, mental health and spreading positivity & kindness. She is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and hopes you enjoy reading her articles!