Why I Love My Friend Hannah

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The first time I met Hannah she said she didn’t like me straight to my face. We were at the Tercero dining commons and she had her leg propped up on the adjacent chair, creating a massive manspread while wearing pj pants and a denim bucket hat. She didn’t like me? In actuality, I had first met Hannah at a random men’s soccer party, where I would bet anyone a thousand bucks who witnessed her that night, that she didn’t remember me. I spent the majority of my time there holding her up, trying to find her friend Autumn. After so bluntly expressing her distaste for me, she then proceeded to use my unlimited DC swipes to get herself more hash browns. Little did I know, our friendship would later turn into her asking if I was “done with that yet” at every meal. Classic Hannah. 

The next week, Hannah and I went out together for Halloween. She managed to black out in a construction vest, make a six-foot, Ken-Barbie carry her home, piss on the floor, bite my friend Mikayla, and end up back-packed to sleep safely. When she awoke, there was no hangover. She pounded a cinnamon roll and we went to Goodwill together in a car with the name “Natalie” plastered all over it. I thought to myself, “Who the fuck is this girl and why do I love her?”

Hannah is 5 ‘2 (as much as she thinks she isn’t), will always be an adventure, and four years later, has become one of my best friends. She’s a specific breed that comes around once in a blue moon. When you find one, don’t be scared. Go into the chaos and you will find no better friend. Hannah leads with her heart, will always listen to you, and has no fear. She chases her dreams and for her, every “no” is always one step closer to a “yes.” She is unforgettable and will always hold a special place in my life.  

For me, it has never been hard to be Hannah’s friend. Some may find her brutal honesty and tendency to go a little wild can rub some people in the wrong way. But, I’ve learned I’ll never be mad at her—Hannah is just going to do whatever the fuck Hannah wants. It’s not personal to me or anyone else for that matter. It’s one of the reasons why I love her so much because everything she does is her true self. As humans, I believe we really love people like that because we can wholeheartedly trust them. As out of the box as she is, Hannah’s predictable at her core.

If I could leave you with one thing to remember about Hannah, it’s that she is strong. The girl has inch-thick skin. As I said, Hannah is always going to be a memorable time. Those who witness the hurricane from the outside sometimes form biased opinions of her. “Hannah is crazy”‚—true, but she is so much more. She has taught me that people are going to talk, but they’re only doing it because they’re bored in their own lives. You are the main character and everyone else is paying to watch, so you might as well give them something to talk about. When someone has formed and spread a completely false narrative about you, Hannah’s the epitome of “just smile and wave boys.” She’ll never stop being who she is for anyone else, and that’s more than admirable.

There is so much I could say about Hannah. In the end, she was one of my first friends and is still here. Her inclusivity and the way she swept me up, without really knowing who I was or where I came from, says a lot about her character. She only cared to ask the right questions: “Do you want to come?” and “What are you doing later?” In a world of COVID freshman dorms, making new friends, and “I don’t even know if I’m allowed to come,” this spoke volumes. She didn’t give a crap if inviting one more person was pushing it. A big thing for me in friendships is feeling wanted. A friend who isn’t asking me to tag along like it’s a chore, but who genuinely enjoys my presence. Not only has Hannah made me feel wanted, she’s also made me feel at home, listened to, cared for, and appreciated. Hannah does all of these things for me. She checks my friendship boxes. 

Though we have never lived together, Hannah has always found a way to insert herself into my life (and snack drawer) and I am grateful for that. She sets examples for what to and what not to do, will always have your back, and is beautifully herself. I love you, Hannah!

Quotes from friends about Hannah:

“Hannah always knows just the right way to brighten your day, whether it’s through silly jokes or sitting and talking with you. She is so kind and thoughtful and anyone she knows is so lucky to have her!” 

– Sara Phillips

“Being Hannah’s friend is so special. She loves hard and cares for her friends so strongly. I’m so lucky to have someone so inspiring and driven like Hannah!” 

– Bianca Herrera

“Hannah never fails to make me laugh. She is always someone I can rely on to make me laugh if I’m having a tough day. I’ve never met anyone quite like her before. I’m very lucky to have someone like Hannah in my life!” 

– Sophie Lance

Hi! My name is Alyssa Runckel and I am a fourth year Communications major with a Psychology minor at UC Davis. My friends at school here are my family, so I like to write about living with eight roommates, relationships, and things I've learned in life. I love music, spring quarter, and a weekend full of plans. I've joined a little late as I graduate this year, but I hope my articles serve as a reminder for what I was up to my senior year of college. Enjoy!