This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Cats and dogs are the best! Its always been difficult for me to fully appreciate cats and dogs because I am allergic to their dander. However, even I can see the following benefits.

They are constant companions. They do not demand anything except a little bit of love and attention and they will be devoted to you for life. From the minute my mom took her puppy home, he has always been by her side. If she leaves him, he just sits in a corner and listens for the door. Perks of such love are listening only to your commands and nudging you for attention at the crack of dawn. My mom and sister both have dogs: they complain about morning walks, but I think actually having your pet listen to commands is very worth it. 

Another benefit of pets is that they can keep you toes warm at night. Whether they are by your face, midsection, or toes, cat and dogs are very comforting. Growing up, my aunt’s giant cat would sit on my chest while I slept during visits. The next morning I would wake up with a face full of fluff and an allergy headache. 

Pets can also help you finish your food; although this may not be good for their health, they are willing to eat the last bits of your plate. This particular skill comes in handy during holiday celebrations when food is shoved at you from every relative. However, it can also be a pain when you spend all morning baking something only to find your sister’s dog wolfing it down!

In my opinion the best thing about pets is that they can help you de-stress through petting and attentive listening to your troubles. Yes, a best human friend will listen to your troubles but sometimes what you really need is a loving bundle of fur to help you through a tough time. Sometimes the only thing that will make you feel better is knowing that your beloved pet is near. And, it goes without saying, they are cute!

I was born in Bakersfield, but I have moved over ten times since I was three years old. I love books and musicals. Yes I am a Hamilton fanatic, Potter fan, Tolkien follower and feel the compulsive need to read at least once a day. My other favorite hobby is cooking. Currently my major is in Environmental Policy Analysis and Planning at UC Davis.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!