When Harry Met Sally: A Perfectly Imperfect Autumn Rom-Com

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’m not one to normally have favorites — favorite books, favorite colors, favorite foods, etc. I view my opinions as ever-changing and consider myself mostly indecisive. Most of the time, I wouldn’t be able to choose my top three favorites in any given category, let alone one. However, my only exception is my favorite movie, When Harry Met Sally, which I cannot foresee myself changing anytime soon. 

For those who aren’t familiar with the film, When Harry Met Sally is a romantic-comedy film released in 1989 (it’s on Netflix and HBO Max, so go watch it now and then come back to this article). Written by Nora Ephron, the film is essentially a rocky yet adorable love story between the two main characters (Harry and Sally, predictably) coupled with (highly aesthetic) autumn scenes set in New York City. Now over 30 years old, the film serves as a classic love story set in a 1980s Manhattan time-capsule. 

For a bit of background, the film begins with Harry and Sally each leaving the University of Chicago, post-graduation, to seek a new life in New York City. Though they do not know each other, they share a mutual friend who pairs them to share the long drive to the city. 

When Harry Met Sally
Castle Rock Entertainment

Their first meeting is unpleasant for both of them: Sally is particular, sweet, and optimistic while Harry is borderline rude and prides himself on his “dark side.” Their drive is long and full of bickering. Upon arrival in New York, they shake hands, part ways, and wish each other luck with their new lives in the city.

After their initial meeting and departure soon after, the film cuts to another instance, five years later, in which their paths cross again. Harry is now married, and Sally is dating an old work acquaintance of Harry’s. Their meeting is unsuccessful — Sally is irritable and impatient with Harry, who comes off way too strong.  

Their next meeting occurs years later at a bookstore after Sally has just broken up with her boyfriend and Harry is in the process of a divorce — a perfect recipe for good timing. It is this meeting where their friendship and the rest of their story together begins. 

Sounds mostly like a stereotypical rom-com, right? Sort of. It definitely is a love story that checks off many of the rom-com boxes. The friends-to-lovers trope…but also, technically borderline enemies to best friends, and THEN to lovers. Neither of the characters are perfect; nor are they perfect for each other. They’re both flawed individuals with seemingly opposite personalities that somehow work perfectly together. 

The other unique aspect of the film is the vast amount of time it takes place over. Nearly a decade (12 years and 3 months, to be exact) passes from their initial meeting directly after college graduation to the final scene. They each grow from post-grad 20-something-year-olds to established adults in New York.  Growth is such a big part of this movie. They grow separately from right out of college to their early 30s. The progression of early adulthood is depicted in such a unique and delightful way and as the viewer, it is so sweet to see them “grow” individually throughout the film.

Apart from the traditional rom-com elements, the cinematography and scenery is arguably one of the most unforgettable elements of the film. Though nearly all of the scenes are aesthetically pleasing in some way, there is a particular scene that is simply perfect. Harry and Sally walk through Manhattan’s iconic Central Park, deep in conversation. The two wear dark-colored fall outfits amidst the color-changing leaves of the picturesque park, creating an ideal picture of what a perfect Autumn should look like.

Lastly, the film’s final scene is undoubtedly my favorite film scene of all time. At this point in the film, Harry and Sally are in a fight and haven’t spoken in-person for several weeks. It is New Year’s Eve, and Sally is at a party having a dreadful conversation with a boring man, while Harry walks the streets of New York alone. On his walk, he realizes his love for her and begins running in the direction of the party (yes, running. Does it get more romantic than that?). As Harry enters the party and makes his way toward Sally, the clock strikes midnight and the surrounding party-goers begin to celebrate.

Amidst the celebration, Sally accuses him of coming to the party simply because of loneliness on NYE. He responds, listing all of his favorite quirks about Sally and finally saying: “I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” Heart-wrenching! I am not typically a crier at movies, but I admit I shed tears every time I watch this scene. The timing of the scene is unbeatable: the clock striking midnight in the middle of their heated conversation seems to represent the perfectly-imperfect timing of Harry and Sally’s relationship.

Though When Harry Met Sally may have many aspects of a typical 80s/90s rom-com, it is a lighthearted yet meaningful story that reminds us that timing is always right (even if it really seems like it is not), and love does not always have to be magical upon a first impression.

Rachel is a third-year student at UC Davis. She is majoring in Communication and Italian with hopes to go into journalism after graduating. In her free time, she loves to spend time with friends, read, go to the gym, and do any activity outside, whether it be swimming, going for a morning walk, etc.