courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What’s Your Love Language?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

According to Dr. Gary Chapman, every person has one dominant love languageor one primary way which makes he or she feel loved. Chapman explains how we often experience and reveal love in a different way than our partners do. Therefore, it is essential to understand how the people we are in relationships with perceive being loved. That way, we can show them love in the way they best feel it, rather than the way in which we best feel it.

Chapman’s five love languages are said to ensure that not only our romantic partners feel loved, but also that our friends, children, and parents feel loved. As Valentine’s day is right around the corner, take the quiz below to discover what your love language is and send it to your friends and family to find out there’s!

1.) This past week you lost your job, had a fight with your mother, and your car broke down let’s just say it’s been an awful week. The thing that would cheer you up is if your best friend were to…

a.) Take the time to really listen about your horrible week

b.) Buy you those booties you have been eyeing for months

c.) Take your car to the shop for you and help you find a new job

d.) Write you a letter to remind you of how special you are

e.) Let you cry on his/her shoulder

2.) It’s Valentine’s Day! Your dream Valentine’s Day with your partner or potential partner would look like…

a.) A dinner with just the two of you

b.) They takes you shopping for a fancy necklace

c.) They run all your errands for you for the week

d.) They write you a poem about why and how much they love you

e.) They plan a romantic night full of physical love

3.) You just got into a fight with your mom. She really upset you. The best way for her to make it up to you is…

a.) Planning a vacation where the two of you could really bond and catch up

b.) Taking you shopping

c.) Cleaning your apartment for you, doing your laundry, and getting your groceries for the week

d.) Telling you why you were always her favorite child

e.) Giving you a nice big hug

4.) You have not seen your significant other in months. The thing that would make you feel most missed would be if they…

a.) Planned a night with wine and pizza where the two of you could talk about everything you missed in eachother’s lives.

b.) Brought you a framed picture collage of all your favorite memories

c.) Helped you prepare your resume and cover letter for the job interview you have the following week

d.) Told you how beautiful you looked and said that he/she still couldn’t believe how lucky he/she is to have you

e.) Run and give you the biggest hug and kiss ever right when he or she sees you

5.) Your significant other is an English major. You have a big essay due tomorrow and you have waited until the last minute to do it. The thing that would make you feel the most relaxed would be for your partner to…

a.) Plan a fun night for the two you right after your essay is due so you can celebrate it being over together

b.) Bring you dinner from your favorite restaurant to eat while you write

c.) Edit your essay

d.) Remind you of how smart you are to restore your faith that you can get this done

e.) Give you a message because stress makes your back and you neck sore

6.) You have finally graduated college! You would feel absolutely amazing if your parents…

a.) Planned a trip to Hawaii for the three of you without your siblings so you could have their attention all to yourself

b.) Bought you your first apartment

c.) Set you up with five awesome job interviews

d.) Told you how proud they were of you and that they know you how amazing you are

e.) Gave you a nice handshake, a pat on the back, and a hug

7.) The date you would die to go on with Ben (ABC’s newest bachelor) this season would be…

a.) The overnightso you could have uninterrupted alone time off cameras

b.) The princess date so you could get all the free expensive clothes and jewelry

c.) One of the adventure dates so Ben could help you get over your fear of heights or the ocean or whatever your fear might be

d.) Any date that Ben tells you he loves you

e.) The overnight so the two of you could finally go all the way

What is your love language?

If you choose….

Mostly a’s: Quality Time. Alone time with no distractions is what is most important to you.

Mostly b’s Gifts.This does not only include purchased gifts, but let’s face it, you love when someone gives you something!

Mostly c’sActs of Service. A.k.a. favors.

Mostly d’s Verbal Affirmations. You love when someone tells you how much you mean to them and how special they think you are.

Mostly e’sTouch. Does not have to be intimate, but must always be appropriate.

Hannah Wren is an English major and Digital Humanities minor on the Dean's Honors List for outstanding academic performance at UCLA. Hannah loves to write and has ample writing experience outside of school. Currently, she works at 7 Generation Games where she creates content for their website to engage and inspire their users. When she is not writing or working, she enjoys spending time with her family, bonding with friends and reading. After she graduates college, Hannah hopes to become a UX designer, entertainment journalist and publish a novel.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!