This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

What? You haven’t bought a bag of lemons this week?

Packed with Vitamin C, this citrus fruit is a powerhouse of flavor that will brighten up any meal.

Lemon Roasted Potatoes

This recipe is great served hot or cold!

Ingredients:

One Lemon

Olive oil

3 Russet Potatoes

Salt

Pepper

2 tbsp. Dried Rosemary

2 tbsp. Dried Oregano

1 clove of Garlic (minced)

Tools:

Oven

Baking tray

Pot (to boil potatoes in)

Time: 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel and cut potatoes into approximately one-inch cubes. Boil the potatoes until mostly cooked (10-15 minutes). Ideally, a fork can easily dig into a potato without the potato breaking form. Drain the potatoes then place them on a baking tray. Drizzle Olive oil and lemon juice over potatoes. Add garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper to suit your taste. Stir around with your lands to coat the potatoes evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown.  

Lemon and Mint Infused Water

If you’re unfamiliar, infusing water with fruit or mint is the easiest and healthiest way to flavor your water.

Ingredients:

Half of a lemon

Mint leaves

Water

Time: <5 minutes

Fill water container ¾ full. Scrub the exterior of the lemon before slicing the lemon. Slice the lemon so the resulting slices are circular. Add the slices into the water container. Rinse mint leaves. Rip the leaves and add them into the water.

Throughout the day the flavors from the lemon and mint will become infused with the water (hence the name!). If you want a really flavorful version: try making this the night before and leaving it in the fridge for the next morning!

Lemons are also, of course, delicious in tea or homemade lemonade!

The California Lemon Fesitval is in Goleta on September 26 & 27, 2015!

I was born and raised in Northern California and studied English with a Professional Writing minor at University of California, Davis. 
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.