What My Sophomore Year Of College Taught Me That My Freshman Year Didn’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

This school year was characterized by hard epiphanies, character development, and fresh learning. I can’t help but admit that this year was possibly the deepest I’ve reached inside the cracks and crevices of my heart. I’ve accepted my limitations after having to face the harsh reality of them. I’ve addressed them head-on and transformed a fortress of emotion into a glade of acceptance. Academically, this year was challenging. It was considerably more challenging on an emotional level. But this year showed me some things and made me realize how fallible I really am. Here are some of my takeaways from this school year:

1.B-u-d-g-e-t

You will thank me for this one, I promise. Never spend money carelessly. As a college student, leaving home brings with it a fresh sense of independence, which for many also entails financial independence. A daily, weekly, or even monthly budget could be your lifeline for your finances and any unanticipated problems that crop up throughout the academic year. I’m not advocating that you should never treat yourself, especially during stressful academic times. Just spend your money wisely.

2. Be friends with girls girls

Having a healthy female friendship or friend group is so important. Women thrive on having close friendships with their girlfriends. These friendships allow women a platform to talk about their issues, ideas, emotions, and victories with others they connect with deeply. In college, I noticed a lot of female friend groups were unhealthy and toxic because there was always so much drama, shit-talking behind their friend’s back, constant gossiping, and just women bringing each other down because of comparison, jealousy, ego, and projection of their own insecurities. I recommend staying away from this because it’s such an unhealthy environment to be surrounded by and will take a mental toll on you. Be careful and choose wisely with the friends that you chose to surround yourself with.

3. Your mental health matters

Your excitement and drive to succeed in school during your first year will only carry you so far before other commitments and areas of your life start to demand your attention. Every student, I believe, will at some point in their lives experience the inevitable academic and social fatigue. Assignments will still need to be turned in on time despite a lack of desire and motivation. What do you then? You should come first. If you take a break, ask for an extension on an assignment through email, or even receive a poor grade, nothing terrible will happen.

Pick up a new hobby, binge-watch that new series, go get food with your friends, talk to your family and friends, and buy that DoorDash or UberEats that you’ve been craving. Hitting a mental wall might make it impossible for you to complete your work and have long-term effects on your physical and mental health, so please take the time you need to care for yourself.

4. Getting in all your nutrition! Meal prepping!

The nutrient-dense foods are crucial for students to consume in order to keep their bodies alert and productive, which is necessary for concentration during lectures and memory retention. Students who eat well may also avoid getting sick, saving them from missing class due to absences.

You can spend less money by eating a meal that has been prepared ahead of time. Meal planning enables you to purchase the majority of your food in one day and then cook it all on the same day, saving you from having to make many trips to the grocery store each week. For meal preparation, preparing your produce is essential.

5. Physical activity

Although hours of studying burn mental energy, both your body and mind need physical exercise to function at their peak. 

6. Don’y join every org

Don’t overextend yourself. College students who are anxious to make friends and feel like they belong to something may find it difficult to say “no” to new chances. Practice saying no. Learn how to politely decline membership in a new group, club, or organization if you don’t have the time or money to do so. It will be alright. Even while joining that new group might look fantastic on your resume, academic tiredness will prevent you from participating in social events (especially during finals season). It’s okay to stand back and wait to join anything new if you can’t provide your strongest case.

7. Organization is key.

Purchase a planner, take notes, set reminders, program alarms, double-check due dates, and build outlines so that your job is already laid out for you.

College is not the time to accidentally or fashionably arrive late to a crucial presentation or exam, as your schedule will start to become entangled with other people’s time constraints and conveniences. Sort, plan ahead, and color-code as necessary! Make sure to account for all of your minutes, seconds, and hours because that is one thing you can manage.

Ritu is second-year Cognitive Science major at UCD. She enjoys working out, cooking, fashion and spending time with friends . Ritu is an advocate for self-love, mental health and spreading positivity & kindness. She is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and hopes you enjoy reading her articles!